Thread: Sinus infection in pregnancy

Default Sinus infection in pregnancy

Hi all,

So I had a minor cold last week, and now my whole face hurts! It's especially in the sinuses under my eyes, and feels like all my teeth are infected (which they aren't!).

I know ultimately it's antibiotics if it doesn't resolve, but I'd like to avoid them in pregnancy.

Any tips? Panadol doesn't do a thing for the pain - just want to go to sleep to escape and i don't want to eat because it hurts to chew. Don't think I can have sudafed etc in pregnancy?

Thanks!

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Default Re: Sinus infection in pregnancy

You could try a nasal wash/rinse (fess have a good one that's safe during pregnancy). I think I've heard them referred to as neti-pots as well.

I get in the shower and let the hot water run over my sinus area and give it a massage. Try a vaporiser and just keep blowing your nose. Try google remedies to help sinuses during pregnancy. Hope you feel better soon.

1. Nasal rinse - I use a product called sinoclear which is more concentrated than something like fess spray, but is still essentially salty water. It's pretty easy to use .

2. Chew gum - the movement of your jaw helps to clear the ear/sinus passages

3. Heat - a hot face washer might help with the pain factor.

4. You might also like to give oil pulling a go. (Google if you don't know what it is). It might help drain out the congestion & promote healing that way.

But - don't sit on it for too long. Your immune system is less strong during pregnancy than normally, so sometimes the safest thing is just to take the appropriate medication & get better as quickly as you can