Thread: When is morning sickness classed as Hyperemesis gravidarum

Default When is morning sickness classed as Hyperemesis gravidarum

I am 14 weeks pregnant and started getting sick before 6 weeks. I was unable to eat, nauseous all the time, throwing up and could barely get off the couch.
    Doc have me maxillon injections, tablets and zofran & B6
    The maxillon didn't help at all, B6 makes me throw up and the zofran takes the edge off but if I take it each day it loses effectiveness.
    At the moment I take zofran and can manage the day...just. I can also eat a few select things and keep down water & OJ but no other liquids.
    The day after I feel terrible and nauseous all day, but tend not to vomit. Struggle with food and sometimes liquid.
    By the third day I can't get out of bed without throwing up, can't keep any food or liquids down all day and can barely get off the couch.
    All of this is all day, worse first thing in the morning and in the evening.
    It's simply not an option to go more than every second day without zofran (which also becomes expensive quickly - but I don't mind about the $$ as long as it helps)
    I'm finding now my mouth is so dry all the time, my lips are dry and I feel miserable most of the time.
    I don't have another doc app for quite a few weeks, but just wondering at what point it becomes a health concern for me or the baby.
    I was exactly the same as this in my first pregnancy and was still sick daily until I had her.
    Thanks

Default Re: When is morning sickness classed as Hyperemesis gravidarum

I honestly don't know. But I couldn't read that and not leave some

That sounds utterly miserable. I hope you get some relief soon. xoxoxo

If you think you're dehydrated, you may need to be admitted & put on iv fluids. I was twice with dd1 & again with dd2 & 3. For 4-5 days at a time.
    At this point it is more a concern for you than the baby, but I'd consider having a check up.
    I lost around 10kg with my girls not being able to keep anything down.

Thanks for the replies. So far I've lost 5kg from when I fell pregnant, but put 1kg back on

My hg lasted til around 25 weeks pregnant. Some people it is the entire pregnancy.
    The baby will usually take everything from you, before your body gets anything, so bub should be fine. Even with the weight I lost my girls were 7lb 5oz, 8lb 9oz & 7lb 9oz.
    When you have hg all pregnancy symptoms are exaggerated. So you'll be exhausted as well.
    You may also become anaemic, so it's a good idea to have your iron levels tested & see what dosage of supplements the doctor recommends. This will make you feel tired & dizzy on top of the exhaustion & dehydration.

I had an allergic reaction to maxalon, 3 times, so couldn't take it. I can't remember why, but I didn't try zofran. I remember talking about it, but for some reason that's as far as it went.

Be warned. Some people really have no sympathy to just how sick you are. That makes you feel better when you struggle just to shower every day, because you can suddenly smell the water :/

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

It's awful. If you can't keep any liquid down you might need some iv. I had to a few times. You might need a urine test as elevated ketones (I think that's what they are called) are not good for either of you.
    Can you chew gum? This helped me a bit. I was sick until the day DD was born I really do send lots of empathy it takes the shine off the vision of glowing mums xx

I did read somewhere about the difference between MS and HG being about how much weight loss you experience (as a % of body weight) but I don't know, having been through it I would think there is more too it that just weight loss. I think it was if you lost more than 5% of your body weight you had HG???....I lost over 7% in 1 week, I put my shoes on and could feel they were looser. That is just plain wrong!

But as the others have said hydration is very key to keeping yourself on the right side of OK. Things like hydralyte, gastrolyte or gatorade are good (frozen if you can't keep it down as a liquid, I think it's hydralyte that comes as in iceblock) and going to get hydrated at your hospital. Go and see a GP and work out a plan for how to manage it. With no. 2 I had a plan of start with maxalon, then if going X hours without keeping anything down either into GP or call locum for after hours. Next step was going to the local ER, my GP gave me a letter to present to ER to explain the situation and that I'd already done the first several steps.
    But if you have gotten really bad it is probably too late for the at home hydration methods, go and get hydrated in hospital and then once you get back to a better level of hydration the hydralite etc. can be used to try and maintain that good level. If you don't get properly hydrated you end up in a hole that you just can't dig your way out of.

Good luck, it is so horrible

Hey LP hun, i suggest you go back to the dr early. You cant keep going on like this xxx

Mine was spewing every 20 minutes until I birthed. Lost 17kg (20% of my body weight) and nothing helped.
    I sympathise.

Symptoms of HG:

Severe nausea and vomiting
    Food aversions
    Weight loss of 5% or more of pre-pregnancy weight
    Decrease in urination
    Dehydration
    Headaches
    Confusion
    Fainting
    Jaundice
    Extreme fatigue
    Low blood pressure
    Rapid heart rate
    Loss of skin elasticity

I found with my second HG pregnancy that if I took Zofran 4 hourly non stop it was more effective in taking the edge off, it never had that chance to fully leave my system.

The earlier the ondansatron therapy is started the higher the chance of it being effective long term. It needs to over ride the brains ability to tell you to throw up. If you are sick for too long before you start taking it, your brain has its pattern of throwing up already and it is much harder to over ride that reflex.....ITMS.

How are you storing the wafers?? What mg are they? They can lose their 'potency' quite easily if not stored correctly and this would also contribute to the less effectiveness. However, nausea is very hard to combat, the vomiting is somewhat more controlled on Zofran due to how it works. Its job is basically to push the stomach contents into the bowel so in effect you cant throw up (except bile) as there isn't much in there (especially when you aren't eating or drinking!)

It is a health for concern for you as soon as you are dehydrated. As it would be even for someone with, say, gastro, dehydration can kill a person. Obviously not as fast this way as being stranded in the desert but still. As for bubs, they will suck you dry There is a point in which they can suffer from it too, but that is a long way off yet. Long term HG can lead to all sorts of awful things like enamel being eaten from your teeth and a torn esophagus.

One of the more recent drugs they are using is Phenergan. That might be a question to ask your GP. If you can get some IV fluids into you at the hospital, hopefully it can pick you up enough to get on top of it for at least a day or two.

Loads of these

Thanks again for the replies
    I store the zofran in it's packet in my bedside table draw or in my desk draw at work.
    I haven't tried phenergan, but have had restavit recommended, but concerned about taking anything that makes me drowsy cause I am extremely sensitive to that kind of thing.
    I can manage water much better when I've taken the zofran, so I try and drink as much I can to rehydrate myself. Unfortunately powerade or hydrolite doesn't agree with me & still only tolerating water and Orange juice.
    I know I'm probably a little dehydrated, just unsure when that gets to a point where I need to consider IV fluids.
    The dry mouth/lips are the most obvious sign, as well as darker pee than normal.
    I can honestly say there has not been a single day since 5 1/2 weeks where I have felt 'well' or enjoyed this.
    My partner & daughter are so excited and I am just miserable

Try storing it wrapped in foil in the fridge, hun. I agree, hard taking anything that causes drowsiness especially when you have a child to care for too, that was a factor for me too

Perhaps try some crushed ice....it helped me 2nd time (by helped, I mean I ate it lol), but not first time. You poor thing, HG is cruel x

Oh ETA....As a cost saving thing, depending on the dose you are taking, you can sometimes get prescribed 8mg to break in half/ quarter, whatever. They are cheaper long term