Thread: Food and thingies for more immunity and less flu

Cool Food and thingies for more immunity and less flu

So, I keep on getting sick.

Viruses, the flu (the actual flu, not "I have a nasty cold"), sinusitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infections, etc. Since May, pretty much 80% of the time - I'm so over it. I've just been prescribed my SIXTH round of antibiotics since May (which will probably occasion my sixth bout of thrush ) and I'm so so so frustrated.

The pharmacist (who was heaps more helpful than the Dr) told me:-

1. I need to get at least 4 complete sleep cycles a night (bahahahaha!)

2. I need to drink a LOT more water (true, he's right)

3. Vit C, olive leaf extract, etc are all kind of useless in standard dosages, and are life long commitments, not just a "I'm sick, where's my 1000mg Vic C pills?") (makes sense)

4. I need to check out the Good Food Guide and find things which are on that which I *like* so that I can just incorporate them into a regular and permanent part of my diet (more below on this)

5. I need to exercise to the point of sweating for 30 minutes most days (again, true - but who has the time...)

I don't sleep enough - I average 5 hours a night. Sometimes 6. I work long hours and have done so since 18 years old. And I've only slept much (ie: more than around 6 hours) when pregnant and ill. Even as a kid, I just didn't sleep much, same as my dad. This would be a big adjustment, and may not be possible with a full time job, two kids, and an hours commute each way to work ... But I can try. Or at the least, I can improve.

The pills and vitamins stuff makes sense, and I'm not sure that I would disagree. I tend to chuck up multivitamins and so don't bother with them, but I have an on-again-off-again relationship with Bs and calcium and iron and C.

Exercise is on the agenda, it's just really hard to make time. But it (and water) are things that I know, and aim to incorporate, particularly as I spend almost all day everyday in airconditioned and heated places, between work, home and trains.

The food one is the one confusing me - I don't think he meant the Good Food Guide, that appears to be a publication about Melbourne restaurants.

What on earth did he mean?

And what is best?

I just can't keep getting sick like this.

And it makes a lot of sense if food x (let's say chocolate...) is really good for me - I can just change my standard brekky to be a Mars Bar or chocolate pain or something... or broccoli soup or blueberry oats or whatever. If I know what the ace foods are!

Help?

Any info? Success stories? Miracle cures? Anything?
    Last edited by peanutter; August 7th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.

I anticipate that you may get a million and one takes on the 'right' diet... and from what I understand, many of the ideas behind many of the diets are good in theory but they really have to work with your lifestyle, body-type and gut flora.

Broadly, my understanding is that a diet low in sugar, simple carbs, caffeine and dairy, and high in fruit and veg (esp brightly coloured things like blueberries and leafy greens), low GI carbs, 'good oils' and protein should support your immune system.
    Are you in a position to see a dietician? I have a friend who was sick (coughs, colds, flu kinda stuff) aaaaalll the time for years. Dietician tweaked her diet.... again, to suit HER body and her life and added a good probiotic (which I alo swear by) and she's been 99% sniffle free ever since.

Lots of research coming out linking gut flora to overall wellbeing - mental health, good cognition, strong immune system and better long-term health outcomes so well worth getting your tummy happy!

Hope you find your 'fix' and you're back to health very soon. xo

You can make a spiced tea every morning. Warm a tea pot (or a thermos) chuck in a knob of ginger, a clove or 2, a star or part thereof of star anise, a cardamom pod, some cinnamon bark, squeeze a wedge of lemon over it and throw the wedge in too, a teaspoon of manuka honey. Pour boiling water over it. let it steep. Put it in your thermo mug/thermos and drink on the train/in the car. You could add chilli or cayenne pepper if you wanted.
    Full of spicy health benefits and any Grany will tell you the benefit of starting the day with a hot drink.

I won't go into diet. You know what I think At the very least, drop the sugar.

I haven't been sick for years (other than gynae stuff). I take lots of supplements including coQ10, a good multi, vitamins B, C, D, magnesium, high strength fish oil. Everyday, without fail.

Up your antioxidants. There's a product at the pharmacy Sambucol that is made out of elderberries that is chick full of purple antioxidants, it's been shown to reduce the severity & duration of the flu. Worth getting onto a maintenance dose.

In the meantime, change up your fruit & veg for higher antioxidant fruit & veg (eg have broccoli instead of peas, red cabbage instead of white cabbage, drink grape juice not apple juice, etc). Definitely add in some probiotics too.

If you've been suffering ear/nose/throat lurgs, then get onto the saline spray, stat. Bypass the fess and go straight for one with a higher concentration of salts in it. Alternatively, try doing some oil pulling.

I could have written your post myself OP! The problem is I haven't got the time or energy (or motivation) required to do a detox or whole foods clean diet or exercise plan or all the things you're supposed to do. I'm sure if I had a nanny and a cleaner the story might be different...

After being constantly sick for nearly a year i spoke with every medico i knew, a bunch of friends who've got sciency backgrounds and consulting an ENT surgeon about how to break the cycle plus heaps of research myself I was led to three things:
    probiotics - the very best you can afford,
    antioxidants - because even I you eat organic vegetarian food you're still exposed to environmental pollutants
    alkalising foods - to balance all the acidic food we consume

So armed with this info I found the products in the link below. They have a 10-day Pack which is enough to give your system a reboot and comes with a self-assessment booklet with more info. After that you could continue to take all three or just one - the probiotic works best for me. Everything's certified organic so you know you can't buy better.

I feel like a million bucks since taking it regularly and have gone from catching everything going to having a really robust system that not even play group germs can get to

I didn't have to make any radical changes to my diet or lifestyle although I have found I crave sugar less, I sleep better and the big change is that I don't get the afternoon energy slump anymore so I'm more active. Miracle cure indeed! I have caught a couple of colds/bugs since starting (over a year now) but they're really mild and last 4 or 5 days not weeks like they used to. I'm probably ahead money wise too after spending who knows how much on doctors, pills, sick days, vitamins, it all adds up.

Hope you find what you're after and the link helps

(link removed by moderator. Please check guidelines about posting commercial links)
    Last edited by Amity; August 8th, 2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Commercial Link removed by moderator. Please read the guidelines about posting links.

I also agree that cutting out sugar and refined carbs are huge. I think the key is really reducing inflammation in your body and processed foods wreck havoc on your body.

We pretty much never get sick. We eat grain & sugar free with low dairy (mostly just high fat dairy like butter and cream). We also have cod liver oil every day. I think making sure your vitamin D levels are high is a big factor. Eating pastured lard is great for vitamin D. Organ meats are also excellent for your health.

I also agree probiotics are important. The best probiotics (and luckily the cheapest!) are fermented foods. Include sauerkraut, pickles, cultured cream, natural yoghurt etc etc throughout your day.

The sleep thing is really, really huge. Don't underestimate it.

ETA: I forgot to say I agree with the comment about oils. Though it comes under the banner of 'processed foods' anyway, it's important to note that vegetable oils increase inflammation. Cutting out canola etc and only cooking with coconut oil or animal fats like butter and lard reduces the burden of inflammation and will increase your wellness.
    Last edited by meow; August 8th, 2013 at 02:15 AM.

I used to struggle terribly with sinuses now haven't had issues for a couple of years partly is the Australian climate being less damp, but also I take horseradish vinegar made by Australian Harvest - I have a swig most days and if feel a bit snotty have a few more.

Also take InLiven which read about on here - is a probiotic superfoood thingy ( essentially lots of good for you green stuff in powder form) - I don't take as much as they state because is quite expensive but seems to keep illnesses at bay as haven't really been ill since DS - is called magic powder in this house.

So sorry about the link! I just want to let OP know that the products I use are Miessence (yep it's Inliven) and I get mine through the miessence website except instead of the www I type in pinkandgreen as the company is network marketing (like Tupperware or enjo) and as a customer you are supported by someone, not just buying off a website, you know? - this way I'm supporting a sahm who has worked hard and is very knowledgable and has "been there" and can offer a great amount if product support and samples and so on (hope this is okay to post!)
    Last edited by MulwareeRainbow; August 8th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

You need to have a certain number of posts, I think.

Thanks for the thought though

Default Re: Food and thingies for more immunity and less flu

This year, I have taken Armaforce basically every day since the start of winter, and the only even vague illness I have had was when was away for a few days, and had forgotten to bring my pills with me.

I will absolutely be getting them again next year.

We've also had the powder version for the DSs, and they have been cold free this winter, too.

A *massive* difference from last year.

I know the op is a year old but I wonder if the doctor meant the magazine "the healthy food guide"?

Glad you've had a better trot this year though.

Maybe! I am trying to move more towards whole foods in general.