Thread: Migraines

Default Migraines

Who else gets them & what do you find causes them?

I had another one this morning. The last one was only 3 weeks ago.

I have cut out certain alcoholic drinks, because even after only 2 I was waking up vomiting & with what I'd describe as a migraine. But I didn't like to call it that given that I'd been drinking... but I was incredibly sick even if I'd only had a few & made sure I replaced fluids (water).

But recently I've had these couple that aren't related to drinking. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. I just wake up with a sharp pain in my head, can't move or open my eyes with out it thumping through my head. I can't talk, the kids can't talk to me. And I feel sick in the gut. Like I could easily vomit, but the pounding in my head makes me fight that with everything I've got. If I can't move my head to the side without searing pain in my head, there's no way I can handle vomiting!

In the past I've used voltaren, nurofen plus, or osteo panadol. It didn't completely get rid of it, but it dulled the pain enough. I am up. Still not 100%, but doing normal daily stuff. But from what I hear over the counter drugs don't work for migraines? And if I don't move for a few hours, in bed, in the dark (3-5. Sometimes more), they usually settle.

So are these migraines? Should I mention them to my gp?

Default Re: Migraines

Sounds like a migraine to me. I use prescription medication called Maxalt Wafers, and because I get them pretty regular I was put on a preventative but that didn't really seem to help.

I get them. Severe emotional stress usually causes them. No medication works, however the only thingIi can do is just remove myself from stress. This has lead to me leaving jobs in the past.

Any sudden severe pain should be discussed with your GP. You might be getting a migraine, but you shouldn't diagnose yourself and you certainly shouldn't be told by your Dr that it's a migraine until you've had a scan of some sort to rule out other causes.
    Migraines can have dietary triggers. Food diary should be kept.
    Start immediately keeping a headache diary too. If you get refer to a headache clinic they won't treat you until you have something they can work on.
    There are prescription pain meds as well as daily preventers out there, but you will need to see someone.

Thanks. Will talk to my gp.

So, I'm a little dizzy & light headed today. Its driving me nuts, but from what I've read it seems reasonably normal? Should I be worried? I shouldn't be dehydrated at all.

Have you been to the dr yet hun?

I get cluster migraines, been on almost every prescription med and preventer.

Definitely see the doctor - and it's also worth running through a list of other causes to rule any of those out too. In the past I've had runs of headaches and even migraines caused by things like silent sinus infection, wrong glasses prescription, impacted wisdom tooth. Also, grinding your teeth at night and sleep apnea can bring them on, so if its something you wake with, get your sleep checked out too.

FWIW if you ever think you've got one coming on, soluble aspirin can stop it from getting started properly, it works better than taking other pain killers once the migraine is going fully. Also, there are often early warning signs over a day or two before. If i ever find myself having that weird feeling or crying in the toilets at work, I know to take the damn aspirin!! LOL Not everyone can stop them coming on, but it's worth a shot if the migraine is shorter or not as bad.

I'll call today. Doc is only in town once a week.

I always feel spacey the day after a migraine, my trigger is generally hormonal and I tend to get them in the led up to my period