Thread: Pap smear while pregnant?

Default Pap smear while pregnant?

Has anyone had a pap smear while pregnant? I have previously had CIN III abnormal cells removed, and got the all clear. But my last pap smear in August 2013 was abnormal again. They asked me to come back in 12 months. I'm now 22 weeks pregnant.

Default Re: Pap smear while pregnant?

I was due for one whilst pg but my ob said to wait until 6 week check up. But I have not had abnormal results before.

I'd wait til after birth.

i had one done with my first, but I was only 10 weeks. I had numerous abnormal smears since having my 3rd baby.

I was 12 weeks pregnant with my first when I was due for a pap smear. The doctor said she didn't want to do it until after the birth just in case I had a miscarriage as I would blame the pap smear (and myself) even if it had nothing to do with it.

Given that your last one over 12months and abnormal I would definitely have another before 6 weeks post partum. I'd wait until 28weeks however. Pregnancy can really feed abnormal cells and its not something you want to leave. If your last was normal 13months ago I'd say wait but give your history I wouldn't leave it for another 5-6months.

I ended up calling the nurse at the GP and she was happy to reschedule my reminder for the new year! They wouldn't remove abnormal cells while pregnant, would they??

No they would not remove anything whilst pregnant. The only thing they would do if things were concerning beyond abnormal cells would be induce bub earlier for treatment to start sooner.