Thread: Transtibial Amputation

Default Transtibial Amputation

Four weeks ago DS20 had a motorbike accident and broke his femur along with other injuries. He had an appointment with the trauma team for assessment and was given a TAC Certificate of Capacity. In the clinical diagnosis section the doctor has written "Right Transtibial Amputation". I'm hoping someone with some medical experience could explain this to me, surely it doesn't mean what I think it does. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Dianne

Default Re: Transtibial Amputation

I am not medical minded, so am thinking of the way it sounds.. I really hope not!

But I hope for the best recovery for your son whatever the outcome.

No idea here, sorry, but I'm so sorry to hear your DS has been injured in an accident.

I hope you're ok xx

It means below knee amputation. I hope he recovers well.

I'm so confused as his lower leg isn't injured at all, he has a soft tissue injury to his right knee and the broken femur. He saw the orthopedic surgeon last week who didn't mention anything about amputation. I was hoping that maybe it's like a worse case scenario but I don't think it is. I'll ask his gp at his next appointment. Thanks ladies.

Regards,
    Dianne

IF you have a google for broken femur complications, there is some stuff about which might explain why this has been suggested - but never rely on google or the internet, make sure you speak to his dr ASAP so your DS can start making some informed decisions about this Poor kid, he's had a rough trot of things and I hope he's on the mend soon

Thanks Trillian, I think that's why the Dr wrote that diagnosis as I know if there were any severe complications it could result in an amputation. In the first week of coming home some of the wounds looked infected and the doctor sent him straight back in but luckily there was no infection. He really did go through hell, when he came to after the accident he tried to stand up but obviously couldn't so started waving down traffic but no one saw him, it was around 3.00 a.m. He then dragged himself along the ground on his butt to someone's house. As soon as the man opened the door he passed out again. He's a very, very lucky boy.

Regards,
    Dianne

Far out, that's awful. I'm so glad he survived xx