Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very strong smelling vaginal odour in teen

Default Very strong smelling vaginal odour in teen

Hi All,

Im hoping I can find some information or possible causes to help get to the bottom of our problem.

DD (12) has been having a very strong fishy odour for the past few months. Dr done a swab & bt but everything came back clear. We done a course of antibiotics & it didn't help. We've had many conversations about over cleaning (shes not) she changes knickers a couple times a day & no wipes are being used. The past couple days shes tried using cornflour to disguise the smell but this only lasts a couple hours. She pretty much has to keep her thighs together otherwise the smell is worse. It is VERY noticeable. On a bad day the smell makes you heave. The smell gets worse a week before her period, is quite strong during then subsides a bit after.

Ive been looking at the fishy odour syndrome but not quite convinced as her breath & sweat dont smell. Am considering a low protein diet but need to check with our dr 1st.

Any other suggestions? Or tips? Im really frustrated & I feel bad for her as her friends are commenting on the dead fish smell ...

Default Re: Very strong smelling vaginal odour in teen

Maybe try a naturopath? I feel for your DD, the poor girl must be so self conscious.

Poor love

Have you tried 100% cotton undies? Also bicarb in a bath.

Could it be hormonal rather than bacterial, etc?

I might try a naturopath - thanks ticktoc.

N2L - she only wears cotton undies. I will try bicarb. How much should I use? I was going to try vinegar. I did consider hormonal, if it is there's nothing I can do is there?

Ive also considered using garlic on the outside to maybe help?

I would either ask for more swabs, or seek another opinion or even a referral to a gynae. If it's causing her embarrassment/distress, that's not ok. There may be some more sophisticated sorts of pathology that can be done.

Is she sure it's a vaginal thing? Sometimes people can develop a bit of festiness in skin folds in the groin area (even fungal infections). Check that she's washing these areas well enough too.

I know letting the area out to breathe is the best idea, but in the short term it's worth thinking about using more absorbent panty liners, there are some odour-fighting ones that might help, and she can change them as often as she needs to).

In the meantime, try epsom salts in the bath, about half a cup, and repeat for a few days in a row, see if that helps a bit. If it does, keep doing that a few times a week. I would also get her onto some pro-biotics too.

Is she using soap to wash her vulva? If she is she may have killed off the healthy bacteria that keep her vulva clean. Does she use tampons? Wipe from front to back?
    Checkout the Embarrassing Bodies website. The info on Bacterial Vaginosis seems to fit the description you've given.

Poor darling.

I agree that it sounds like bacterial vaginosis, but surely the dr checked for that? I had it once and the smell really was horrific as you describe, but easily fixed with antibiotics. Hope you can sort it soon.

Yes the dr has checked for that & we decided to treat her for bv/gardnerella & the ab didnt work. There is no infection.

No tampons, just pads & liners. Yes wipes correctly. Shes not over cleaning, we've talked about it.

The smell does not go away. Its therw 24/7 & is worse at period time.

I've heard of a foreign objects being in there (the case I heard was a forgotten tampon) that ended up with a really bad fishy smell. I know you've said no tampons are used but any chance of something else being in there? I would have thought anything that could be in there would have passed out by now but just in case, it is something the Dr has checked for?

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Oh poor sweetie. How awful for her
    Hugs to you both

Quote Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
    Poor darling.

I agree that it sounds like bacterial vaginosis, but surely the dr checked for that? I had it once and the smell really was horrific as you describe, but easily fixed with antibiotics. Hope you can sort it soon.
    I second this. I have never known of any other infection that causes anything remotely like this smell. I dealt with this on and off for 12 months a couple of years ago, it was awful. I really sympathise.
    From what i can remember there was no swab or testing for me, the doctor knew exactly what it was. I would get a second opinion definitely because it's sounds like BV to a tee. mine was worse at AF time too.

I don't want to be alarming at all, but my friend was diagnosed with cervical cancer, and for a month previous to her diagnosis we could all smell quite a strong 'fishy' smell around her. It stared off subtle but got stronger.
    Her only other symptom was a sore lower back.
    I'm not suggesting that your DD has cervical cancer, but maybe it's something more internal than external?
    I'd be seeking second opinions.

I'd be getting a second opinion too, and further testing.

The only other thing I can think of which hasn't already been said is candida - a friend had it quite badly, and no amount of short term solutions would help, so she's had to go through a complete diet transformation over the past 18 month, to completely clear out of her body anything and everything which can potentially feed the yeast. It was a long and hard slog, but she is so much better now.

Worth looking into.

Thanks everyone. An epsom salt bath cured the smell. We have a referral to see a paed as she has a leaky bladder.

Glad the bath sorted it out, there's something magic in the salts. I'm glad you're going along to the paed with her too, definitely mention the odour issue because it might be a symptom that will shed light on the bladder issue too.

My only other suggestion was lactobacillus overgrowth. I would be getting swabs do e and testing for everything: candida, BV lactobacillus.

Thanks. We will be getting a 2nd opinion tomorrow from another dr & seeing a naturopath.

Peanutter - are there any other symptoms to think a candida infection? I keep thinking its diet & hormone related but just have no idea anymore 😞

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast