Thread: What is classed as a low body temperature?

Default What is classed as a low body temperature?

DS2 (3 years old) has been unwell the last couple of days with a fever and now has cold like symptoms. He woke up this morning without a fever however I took his temperature a little while ago and it was 35.3. 30 minutes later it was 35.7.

Are these low temperatures? Should I be concerned? His normal body temperature generally sits around 36.5.

Default Re: What is classed as a low body temperature?

When DD was younger she got a fever during the day and was quite unwell. Then later that night her temp dropped to 35 something. She also got a rash. So we called the nurse number and they said that anything below 36 is considered a low temperature. I'm not sure if it's different for older kids, but I'd be keeping an eye on him, if his temp is low I don't think you'd want him getting lethargic.

Thanks Teeki, he seems fine at the moment, playing happily so I guess I'll keep an eye on him and if he gets lethargic I'll take him to the dr. Just a little worrying.

Sometimes instead of temp going up, people can drop their temps as a reaction to illness. Another way your body fights. So yes that is low, keep an eye on it. But please remeber fever and changes in body temp are the bodys way of fighting sickness, it means your immune system is working!!

Thanks Hun, I've just checked his temperature again and is back up to 36.0 much happier with that

Under 36 is low, but under 35 is classed as hypothermia and really needs to be dealt with (just for future reference )