Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are all cups made equal? (menstrual cups, that is)

I have just started with one too! Second cycle just done and I must say it was awesome. First cycle sucked as it seems I needed to trim off the stem entirely. I tried it on the first day and even with a shortened stem it was soooo uncomfortable. I gave up for that cycle, but this time around, without the stem I am absolutely converted. I so wish I had come across these sooner, especially since my flow seems to be so much faster and heavier after babies.

Thanks for all those who offered advice here. This thread and some other sources were fantastic!

Yay jackrose! Mine definitely took a few cycles to get used to it. But I'm hooked for sure. In fact i'm in the middle of some unexpected travel which sees me out of the house for a the start of my AF and woohoo - i just have to bring that tiny cup with me. Sooo much easier than packing tampons! We are staying at friends and family and then a at least 7 plane trips - i'm not in the least bit worried about when AF arrives.

Heaven - yes to sleeping. DH finds it funny. He thought it would all spill out. But it forms a seal. It never hurts. You don't that horrible heavy tampon feeling ITMS. And the environment loves me more now. I was lucky that i am a SAHM, so those first few goes were a bit trial and error, and i could do it at home (with nosey kids though!).

My Meluna is an extra soft one and i don't find the stem uncomfortable. (I am a little scared that if i cut it off, i'll lose the cup somewhere!)

I just don't get the mechanics of it all - how do you get it out without spilling it everywhere?! I'd be worried about a juice box type explosion - you know those juice boxes with the little straws, and if you squeeze the box all the juice squirts out the straw? LOL! The image I have of getting it out is somewhat acrobatic....

Lenny, 7 plane trips?! Hooley Magooley!

Keike, it forms a seal with your cervix, so to remove you just pinch it a little and the seal breaks. If it's especially full (you'll work out when you need to change to avoid being too full) then when you pinch it, a little might go on your fingers but nothing drastic. At first, you may spill a bit on the loo too when taking it out, but it only takes a couple of times to work it out. I sooooo miss mine, got to use my MeLuna twice before becoming pregnant with DD and twice before falling pregnant this time. I love it! It's easy, it's clean, you feel so much better! Being out, I'd keep some baby wipes in my handbag (now nappy bag!) to wipe it down with when in public. I still found I needed a pad, but I'm a heavy bleeder.

Yep it definitely forms a seal, try pulling it without breaking it - not a good idea! I too spill a bit if it's really full - mainly overnight, but it's fine once you get the hang of it.

How often do you empty them? Some sites seem to say morning and night, others say 4-8 hourly.

Depends on your flow. I go with a little less often than I change a tampon. I have a dry heavy flow, so I'd probably empty every two hours. Could get away with 3-4 but would have a very full cup, which is harder to empty.

Also, the LadyCup website says you can't have sex with it in... how do people go with their cups and sex? I would have thought it should be fine?

We have. Certainly not a very deep penetration (I have stemless MeLuna) but you totally can. Again, depends on the individual, where you're cervix sits etc etc.

I can't wait to use mine again because I HATE pads and so post partum bleeding with pads just sucks. How soon post partum can you use a cup with normal AF?

Quote Originally Posted by Divvy View Post
    How often do you empty them? Some sites seem to say morning and night, others say 4-8 hourly.
    On days 1-2 when heavier I empty every 4 hours. On low flow days I empty morning, afternoon and before bed only.

I only empty morning and night. I cant have sex with it in. Well nothing worth while at least lol

Also, not sure if it's related to cup use, but often I find I only have a 3 day period when using the cup. I used to have a 5 day period before so I have a feeling that the cup allows the flow out faster.

Really ausgirl?? Sold!

I have no scientific evidence to back it up - maybe my cycle has changed but I tend to bleed alot for 2 days, a smaller amount for day 3 and just normal end of cycle spotting after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Divvy View Post
    I empty a lot more the first day or two of full flow, sometimes hourly. But I have a very heavy flow initially, to the point where tampons would be just about useless. The cup is still waaaay better. After the first couple of days I can get away with emptying morning & night.

The FAQ's on the Mooncup website suggest that shorter cycles are common amongst cup users. Mine was never very long, anyway, so I can't back it up with my anecdote.

Where do you buy the meLuna cups from? Have been thinking about getting one. IM finding that I feel really dried out and IM overflowing tampons.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast