thread: Is a cup the right thing for me?

May 2010

MeLuna

Just had a look on their website and yes, they do ship internationally. I am in Switzerland right now so I got them to send it to me here..
    If you have problems with silicon or latex this could deffinitely be a solution for you. I think the material is the same as they make baby teats out of..
    You should also be able to find more information on their website (see meluna.eu).
    Also since they are not as expensive I think it would deffinitely be worth a try!! I used to get irritations mainly when using pads.. but have had no problem so far with any of my cups (Lunette and MeLuna).

Medusa, could you tell us a little more about the MeLuna? I am very sensitive to most things 'down there', and the fact that I have been a bit worried about irritation caused by menstrual cups is the reason I have put off buying one, so the MeLuna sounds like a good option for me. Can it be bought online/shipped to aus?

I am so sick of wasting money of pads and tampons...not only are they a rip, but the irritate me so much downstairs

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

As far as I am aware, most baby bottle teats are made from sillicone and I thought that this was pretty non-irritating and non-allergenic. Isn't it used in medical equipment for exactly that reason? Correct me if I'm wrong.

One Mummas Journey To Be Happy & Healthy

Feb 2008
    With my awesome cherubs

subscribing to this as ive been thinking about getting a cup too

May 2010

yes, you are right.. silicon is pretty non-irritanting.. but if someone does have a problem with it I still think it might be worth while checking this out..
    Anyway, here is what MeLunas on their website conserning the material:

"..Because TPE is more practical and better to process than silicone. These properties help us to keep MeLuna moderate in pricing and easy to create even more variants of the product. Also TPE feels smooth, dry and not sticky - meaning it is an all different surface feel (haptics). Many products originally made from latex or silicones are now made of TPE. It is just not easy to recognise.
    The MeLuna material is, among other things, also used for the teats on baby bottles. Regarding the high regulatory requirement for baby products in Germany, you can be assured you are purchasing top quality..."

As far as I am aware, most baby bottle teats are made from sillicone and I thought that this was pretty non-irritating and non-allergenic. Isn't it used in medical equipment for exactly that reason? Correct me if I'm wrong.

May 2010

and here is what it says concerning allergies..:

"I have a latex allergy. Can I use MeLuna?

Yes, you can. MeLuna is not made from latex, but from TPE. This material is used also for the production of baby bottle teats.

Is it possible to have an allergic reaction against MeLuna?

No. The raw material of MeLuna, TPE, does not contain any proteins, PVC, latex or silicone. Thus, there cannot be a allergic reaction."

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

And it comes in pretty colours, too! I might have to get myself one after all. Is this going to be an expensive obsession like cloth nappies?

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

....pretty colours?
    ...am i then only one who is a little... curious?
    =P

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Yes, it comes in clear and 6 colours. Red, Orange, Blue, Black, Green & Purple.
    Apprently they also make special editions like metallic silver.

Medusa.x: Can you tell me which MeLuna you have and whether you prefer this or the Lunette?
    Last edited by sunshine_sieben; May 21st, 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

if your talking to me =)
    i have a keeper, havent used it yet though. =)

May 2010

The first cup I got was the Lunette Selana (L). It works really well for me. I had no problems inserting or removing it right from the start. (I do wet it a bit before inserting it) but it opens up easily and the only problem I've had is that I dropped it into the toilet once when emptying it and boiled it to bits once when I sterilized it.. (upss.. just got distracted and completely forgot about that water on the stove.. )

So then I reordered a Lunette but also got a MeLuna. I have a large orange one with the little ball at the bottom. I find it easy to use and I quite like that little ball to remove it. It gives me something to grab.. (But you shouldn't be to squeamish and you have to press the bottom of the cup together to stop the suction before removing it but that you have to do with any cup). Also, I cannot feel it.. In fact it makes me almost forget that I have my periods which sometimes feels a bit strange ;-) The only slightly negative thing about the MeLuna is that I find it does not unfold as easily as the Lunette. So probably for anyone who has problems with an other cup the Lunette might be the better choice..

Any yes.. it is addictive In fact I have just ordered a LadyCup for myself (a Czech product which also comes in pretty colours and with even prettier little bags) and a small MeLuna for my teenage daughter who said she would try it.. I am curious how she will go with it.. but unfortunately I know she will not be too keen on discussing this with her mum

I havenít tried any small cups yet. As I figured that my pelvic floor might not be that great and also I do get rather heavy periods.. But I might one day make myself a little present and just get a small one to try.. Because even with a fairly heavy flow I can go for quite a while without changing, whereas with tampons I had to use the biggest ones with pads and change them every hour or so..

Yes, it comes in clear and 6 colours. Red, Orange, Blue, Black, Green & Purple.
    Apprently they also make special editions like metallic silver.

Medusa.x: Can you tell me which MeLuna you have and whether you prefer this or the Lunette?

May 2010

sentelle Mr

Sunshine_sieben:
    Do you understand German? If so check out this web site.. (afriska.ch). She did a whole website on menstural cups, tried out quite a few and compares them etc.. I found it really helpful
    Last edited by medusa.x; May 22nd, 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Jan 2009

Yes, I did buy a cup. I was thinking of getting the MeLuna as well, as i was just recently in Germany and it sounded like a good cup, but I ended up getting the British Mooncup. It actually arrived the first day of my last period and I am proud to say that i did not end up using a tampon or pad during that period at all. I did however use up the panty liners i still had lying around from the end of my lochia.

Do I like it? I really really want to like it. So, I'm probably a little biased here.

I did not find it disgusting to use, although a little messier than I expected. But I'm expecting this to reduce with more practice.

I did have some leaking/movement/placement issues. But again, I am really hoping that will change with more practice. I remember being at Bunnings on day 3 of my period and I had to go to their toilet 4 times as I felt the cup moving down quite a lot and was afraid it would fall out

One day it felt like perfect placement, yet I had a huge leak after only 2 hours and the cup wasn't overly full. Other days it worked perfectly.

i did find that I checked it way more than needed, but that was because I am a newbie.

I find it a little confusing to determine whether placement is good (height) but I'm sure in a few months time this will become a no-brainer.

So I guess to answer the question: I don't dislike it. I loooove the idea, but the jury is still out on whether I will like actually using it. I will give it a few more cycles.
    Definitely give it a few good cycles to get used to- I had similar experiences with placement and sealing to begin with - I have a mooncup - though I have not had babies so that makes a bit of difference. Did you get the largest one for women who've had children?
    I find you need to try and run your finger round the edge when inserting to ensure it is completely unfolded and give a little pull to make the seal.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

Yes, I did get the larger size. I don''t seem to have problems with it unfolding. I can feel it pop and it makes a sucking sound, too. It is the placement that is starting to frustrate me. if I place it relatively low, i can feel it and it is uncomfortable. But it works well this way. If i place it further up, it feels much better (ie. I can''t feel it at all), but I seem to get lots of leakage. I cannot tell the difference of whether or not placement is good, only in hindsight.
    Is it possible that my cervix just sits too low?
    At the moment I have to wear panty liners with it all the time annd that wasn''t really the point, was it?

You know how there are 2 ways of folding it? You cna either fold it into quarters or push one side in and down? With the first method I can''t seem to get it far enough inside (it works well, but is uncomfortable), but with the second method i can get it into a comfortable position (but then I get leakeage).

Arrrrgh, i wish someone could show me how. But that is just a bit too weird, isn't it?

Mar 2007
    Paradise

There is a site with heaps of different folds. Explore yourself and find your cervix and always ensure your cervix is in the cup. If mine isn't quite right then I get leaks but I have gotten used to running my finger around it and checking that I can't feel my cervix.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

=)
    I only got my period this morning...but means i get to try out my cup. =) it is going to take a while to get use to it...and trust it (as at the moment i'm checking it all the time, when i obviously don't need to)

but I can already tell that i'm going to get addicted...and I already know i'm never turning back!!!!!!

On the instructions on mine though it actually says its meant to sit a little lower (lower than tampons for example), it says its not meant to be right up near your cervix,...but mine seems to be creeping up that way anyway...and it is comfortable further up... no leakage yet..but i keep playing with it - so havent left it in that long =P

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Using mine for the first time today! So far, it's soooo comfortable! Haven't changed it yet (about to though) But so far, so very good! I ended up going with MeLuna as I'm very sensitive. I got a cute purple one with a ball end and I got a free red one with a loop end! WAs so happy as I wasn't expecting it

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

I have a lunette (size 2) and I really like it but I am having alot of trouble with removing it. I am fine with inserting, positioning and no leaks but the removal is painful! Do you think that maybe it could be that I need a smaller size? Any experiences/advice please?

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

DAintree, are you careful to squish and release the suction before removing? That's the only thing I can think of.

You got coloured ones PZ?