Thread: New to diva cup and it hurts?

Default New to diva cup and it hurts?

I managed to grab a diva cup at 50% off :-) tried using it last cycle but it leaked...am trying this cycle, am just starting my bleed so its just that brown mucusy stuff. I have a few questions? I am using a different folding technique too :-)

1 should I be trying to use it now or wait till its red blood?,
    2 should it put pressure on the wall between my vagina and anus? It is really not comfortable S it feels like I need to poo all the time? But this seems to be catching more and not leaking?

Thanks x

Great score!
    I haven't tried other cups but have used diva cup for ~3yrs, started at size 2. Yup, it often feels very snug, and at times when I was just learning it was hard to remove. However, I haven't had problems with leaking or consistent discomfort. I can only think that yours might be positioned a little low?? Try putting it higher, but obviously make sure you can reach the gripper, and definitely turn it so that it opens fully and seals the passage. (*TMI* to remove, I tend to bear down in order to get a good grip, then completely relax my muscles in order to pull it out gently). It does get easier with practice because your muscles learn not to protest and tense up!
    No problem using a water-based lube to help insert. And yes, I think I do wait until I've got a true flow, and don't use it on really light days. I wear a liner every day of my cycle anyway and this is usually enough.
    HTH.

I use it from the very beggining coz I couldn't be bothered, lol.
    You shouldn't be able to feel it. Are you sure it's opened up all the way? Run your finger around it to make sure it's popped open fully. The first few times I was putting it up too much before letting it open and found it was going up behind my cervix and staying folded up ITMS, so that could cause the pressure and leaking? That's all I can think of!

IT sounds like either it's not positioned quite right and/or it's the wrong size for you.
    I know a lot of the sites will say if you've had children then you need a large one, but that isn't necessarily the case.

Thanks guys. Will give it another go...bugger madB really I got the bigger one :-/
    will go have another fiddle :-p

It might just be that you need a little more practice. It can take a few cycles to get the knack.
    I got a small from meluna and it fits just fine I'm a small build and have a low cervix, so need a smaller one despite having had 2 kids and being well past 30

I had another go and it felt right but I can feel it when I move........I took it out cause I was worried it might leak :-/ will keep going :-) I want to get it right before we go away in February :-)

I think you might need a smaller one- you shouldn't be able to feel it even if it's not postioned entirely right.

More like feel it coming out iykwim. Maybe I need to push in it further?

Does it have a stem on the end? If so, chop it off.

Yeah, sound like you need to push it up higher. You'll get it before February!

I wore it last night and I am pretty sure it worked as it was full..well not full but it caught it. Am trying again today and will just wear a pad too :-)

dont I need the stem?

I cut the stem on mine. I bear down to get mine out and find I don't have a problem getting it out and I have fat fingers and no finger nails to grip with. LOL

I would suggest it's not going in far enough. It sounds like the drama I had my first day of use. Although from what I've read, the Diva is one of the longer cups so if you have a really low lying cervix it might not be the right size for you(don't quote me on that.... I'm a cup newbie). I don't think I've ever felt my cervix in my life so I don't have any problems being able to push it a fair way in. I get the occasional small leak.... I have only used it for 2 cycles so am still perfecting it.
    I don't start using mine until I have a full red flow just because it just feels easier to insert.

Good luck with it today!

No, you don't need it. How do you take it out? Do you use the stem? I don't even use it, I just pinch the end to break the suction and it's easy to reach.

/wrong window. Whoops! Sorry!

How have you gone with it since? I had similar feelings with the bowel pressure with a Diva. I bought another cup that was made from softer silicone and have no problems with it now. I do use my Diva as a back up sometimes, but overall I much prefer my other cup.
    They do take a few months to get use to but they are worth it in the end.

MTS would you mind telling me which other brand you are using? I'm finding a little it of bowel pressure at times and wasn't sure if it was normal or not?

I would guess it might be the size issue too. It is a bit difficult to know what is right for you when you can't try before you buy! Plus it is a bit of an expensive mistake to make if you do get the wrong size. I found I needed a smaller size after starting with a lunette last year after an outlay of about $50. I had to remove the stem completely but found that I could still feel the cup when in place and was often really uncomfy when sitting. Some times were worse than others and I found that it was worse as time went on (so I've realised I have had to do some serious work on my pelvic floor ) I never felt any bowel pressure with mine though.

I love the idea of the cup though and when the lunette worked, it was so awesome so I decided to give another brand a go and after a little research, went with the Me Luna. I ended up with a smaller size and the soft cup and so far it has been perfect. So, I guess I am another of the exceptions to the post baby post 30 rule. A smaller cup was best for me.