Thread: something is scaring DS1

Default something is scaring DS1

About a year ago I posted about my DS' s electronic toys starting up on their own. My sister even confirmed that she heard one playing as she approached our front door when we weren't home. They would also start up when we were in the room. .. and nobody was near them. changing batteries made no difference and random toys would do it. it stopped happening when we moved house.

Now something is going on again. DS1 has a colour changing lamp in his room. we always change the settings so it stays on just one solid colour when he goes to bed.. so there's minimal stimulation. In the last couple of months, since DS2 was born, the light has started spontaneously changing colours in the middle of the night. its not battery operated so I can't really fiddle with it. the button to change the settings is under the base, and the lamp is on a shelf too high for DS1 to reach. We don't know why it's doing this, but DS1 runs into our room crying and scared when it happens. sometimes before we've even gone to bed ourselves he will wake up and scream. It's a scream of terror.

if the light wasn't doing weird things I'd put it down to night terrors. DP is concerned too which is a big thing as he's not a beliecer in spirits etc. I've asked DS1 if he's scared and he says yes. I asked him what scared him and he just says what what what. typical 2y.o.

has anyone else had something like this going on? DP wants to set up the webcam in his room overnight. I'm not sure I want to see something that might scare me..... or something messing with my child, but I feel uneasy and like I should get to the bottom of it.

opinions?

We have had a number of those lights. They always ended up playing up, missing colours, unable to change the colour settings, changing colour setting charging, not charging, you name it really. Great concept, but not the best build quality.

So saying that, I would not put it just down to the light, well only if you got a brand new one and it did the same thing straight away. What does the light do if you put it in another room overnight?

You could set-up a webcam, but I would be concerned about the quality. I think if you go down that path, try and get the highest quality recording you can.

Interesting idea... maybe I should put it in my room overnight.

we just heard DS1 talking to himself about half an hr ago. While it's not something on its own to get all paranoid over... its not normal for him.

DP is pretty freaked out. He says when he went in to get him to go back to sleep again DS1 had a weird smile and was pointing to the upper corner of his room.

The reasoning behind the webcam is mostly to see what DS1 does when he wakes. If he's talking to anyone or if he's being startled by something whether visible or not.

Hmmm..

We've had battery operated toys go off by themselves in the past. I'm pretty sensitive but it's always come down to dodgy wiring.

Re the coloured lamp - DD had one of these for a while until we worked out she was really frightened by it. It had me freaked out for a while because she keep saying the bed was moving - but then we realised that because the colour change mechanism moved, it meant the shadows from the lamp also moved. We replaced the lamp with a non coloured non moving one, and she was happy after that.