Thread: Getting Mirena tomorrow

Default Getting Mirena tomorrow

As the title says I am getting a Mirena inserted tomorrow. I have been on Depo Provera for 5 years and even though it's been great, you're not really meant to be on it long term due to loss of bone density and we already have issues with that in the family. My GP has been recommending it to me for the last couple of years, but now I am finally getting it done.

Naturally one of my friends (C) told me her horror story about having hers inserted, how it was painful and she nearly fainted etc. So that has me slightly more freaked out than what I was. I do have another friend that is about to have her 3rd one done, and she said that C must have been a wuss. My 2nd friend did ask if the doctor recommended having anyone there with me in case. I said "No". So she's coming to be my taxi tomorrow.

So what were your experiences with insertion. I am going in expecting the worse, so then I can say "Oh it wasn't that bad"....I hope

Default Re: Getting Mirena tomorrow

Mine bloody hurt manually opening your cervix will do that. I found it really uncomfortable, take a pad or liner as you may bleed after, I did.

I was recommended to take some panadol an hour or so before the insertion. Not sure if it was due to that but I found the insertion hardly hurt at all. What I wasn't expecting was the cramping that started a few hours after insertion and continued on and off for a couple of weeks. The evening after insertion was definitely much worse for me than the actual insertion. So I'd recommend planning on taking it easy for a bit.

My first I had inserted under a twilight sedation (recommended by the family planning clinic I went to). Second one was done at the GP. Wouldn't say it majorly hurt, but wasn't comfortable at all. It caused very bad cramping afterwards, but no bleeding.

Yeah I went to GP last week to have the initial swabs etc done to check for any infections, and she recommended taking ibuprofen or something an hour before.
    From the sounds of it I should be glad I am getting someone to drive me home. What a shame it's my MIL's birthday tomorrow too. I may just be in too much pain to go

I found the test they did first more than the actual insertion of the mirena. I almost chickened out as they said the mirena itself is worse. I had my period at the time of insertion, so cant comment on bleeding.

I felt a bit bad that afternoon, some pain an nausea. A couple of days later, I was in a lot of pain, felt faint and very ill. It felt like one of my ovaries was trying to force its way out the back of pelvis. I was very close to getting it removed at the ED that night, but then it all settled down.

Had a bit of minor bleeding/spotting for a couple of months, then nothing for 6 months, then a 3 week period (spotting, some clots), now nothing. When I got the 3 week period I had extreme tiredness before onset and pain in my pelvis as I had after it was inserted. So atleast I now know if I feel that that pain with tired to expect a period.

Saying all that overall I am happy with it. I was having a 6 day period every 23 days, with heavy bleeding and extreme tiredness. So no period for months with the odd long one really is an improvement.

I had my Mirena inserted during my endometriosis surgery, but my Surgeon also mentioned that it can be easier to insert during your period.

I LOVED my Mirena and I am currently MAJORLY regretting having it removed!!!!

I will be going back for another one 100%.

Ibuprofen should help with inflammation and the process shouldnt be too uncomfortable for you I hope.

Good luck!

Well it didn't get done today after all. I got a phone call this morning to say my GP was sick and can I rebook for next week. So that's the 2nd time I have psyched myself up to have it done and not had it happen. I didn't know last week that I needed swabs etc done first.

Sort of thinking now though to just put it off until the school holidays. That way I am not required to get up and go to work the next day if I don't feel up to it.

That sucks. Mine got brought forward, which was great. Fingers crossed that the next appt is not cancelled and it all goes well.

All done and feeling okay at the moment.

48 hours on and apart from the initial 15 mins or so of cramping that's all I have experienced.