Thread: Nuva Ring - Anyone Tried It?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Nuva Ring - Anyone Tried It?

***UPDATE FOR NUVA RING USERS***

PLEASE READ: http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...-investigation
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 11th, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Just thought I would update this post since I have had a couple of cycles now.

I have had much lighter cycles which I am happier about, they weren't *heavy* before but I would say it's now light mostly maybe light-medium in the first couple of days at most.

I have found that I get some cramping leading up to my period, not sure if it's from the ring but previously I would get light cramping the day before or on the day. But I am very happy with the light cycles. Very easy to put in/out. Once you put it in you pretty much forget about it, it doesn't interrupt sex or anything and never feels like it will fall out - just can't feel it and it stays in firmly, you give it a little pull to get it out. I'd recommend it over the pill, because it doesn't go through your system and therefore less side effects and better for your body.

Surprised not many people use it or have heard about it to be honest, I'm so happy with it and you don't forget to take it everyday lol.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

Hi Kelly, I've been looking for an alternative contraception so this has caught my eye. Is it very expensive? Also this may be a stupid question, but is there any risk that you can insert it incorrectly iykwim? I know when I've had a couple of pap tests recently that both drs said they had trouble locating my cervix since giving birth. Do you just insert it and not worry about it, or can it move around? Is it like a diaphram? Sorry if these are really silly questions, I've just never heard of it before!

I looked at the option, but since my cervix gets bumped a bit during DTD I decided against it. Also spoke to my Dr and since my chances of falling pregnant naturally are small because of my age and because of other factors (which I'd perfer not to discuss in open forum) I'm not using any protection other than condoms

A friend of mine uses this and so far it's agreeing with her, and she hasn't had any problems. I will be talking to my dr about it in the next couple of weeks.
    Thanks for letting us know how you're going with it Kelly.

I worried about making sure it's in properly too... its a bendy silicone ring so you press your fingers in the middle of the ring to make like a figure 8 shape and put it all the way up as far as it will go. I'll always check that it can't be pushed up further and it seems to just pop into place really well for a simple ring and it's never moved or been bumped. It costs the same as the pill $20 per month. If you get it through family planning centres, its cheaper than a script from the chemist, FPA can give them to you in their centres.
    Kelly xx

Just wanted to update this thread - i've made the decision to come off this. I'm sick of it... getting lots of side effects I didn't expect being half the dose of the pill and I don't usually get many when I am on no contraceptives. I looked up the website and saw that I am having quite a few of them too.

I've been moulting hair like crazy. While I don't look like I am going bald, I swear when I tie my hair up, it feels alot less in volume and I know I have been losing a bit of hair. Its not affected my appearance but I don't want it to get to that point!!!

I've gotten thrush once which I swear was from the ring, and apart from that, general discharge has increased when I am not bleeding.

I've had sore breasts around the nipple area which have been quite sore at times to the point I went to the doc to get it checked out. I NEVER get that when I am not on contraceptives and I don't even remember getting it on the pill.

My cycle is very light and has taken a while to settle down - only last cycle it seemed to start and finish when it should, and this cycle it's just weird...

My skin has been crappy just before my period, I have been more emotional - MEH!

I'm so disappointed. Sick of side effects, especially for something supposedly low dose
    Kelly xx

oh im sorry to hear that
    i was looking at trying this as it is a low dose and safe for breastfeeding mums, but wow thats a good list of side effects and im not sure i want the moodyness i tend to be one of thsoe people who get side effects from most things so damn.

thankyou for sharing your experience.

i can get it free from work but nope id ratehr themirena i think

I can't say for sure if its related to the nuva ring, because I do have have some stuff going on, but I have been watching it and it seems to be worse just before my period and during - I get really sad and yucky. But like I said may not be, but the other things are annoying me a great deal too.
    Kelly xx

Default Re: Nuva Ring - Anyone Tried It?

***UPDATE FOR NUVA RING USERS***

PLEASE READ: Why Is Potentially Lethal Contraceptive NuvaRing Still on the Market? | Vanity Fair
    Kelly xx