Thread: Once the Mirena is removed

Default Once the Mirena is removed

How long does it take for your cycle to return?

Mine will be coming out in a couple of months and I'd like to give my body some time to get back to 'normal'. Prior to conceiving my DD (accidentally) I mostly relied on the pill, but the periods where I was off it I had a very regular cycle and generally great reproductive health.

Is there anything I can do to help my body restore its normal hormonal balance?

Found this info...very interesting..

Normal fertility can return as soon as soon you remove the Mirena. Most women still ovulate with the Mirena in and if it is removed near ovulation, a woman may become pregnant from recent intercourse that occurred before the IUD removal, as sperm stay alive for days inside the woman's body.

I had my Mirena out had a cycle a week later, and got pregnant that month!

Oooo thanks Maz. I'll have to let DP know that one - since he's going to be in charge of contraception following! I definitely still ovulate, but I'm not good at paying attention to when it's happening.

Does that mean my cycle will probably return immediately? Do you get a period after it's removed, or do you just finish off your cycle from where you're at? Clearly I need to ask my dr, but since I won't see her until it's removed I'd like to get this info beforehand.

ETA: posted at the same time - thanks Didi! I'm not going to be trying to get pg immediately afterwards, so we'll have to be careful.
    Last edited by Jennifer13; January 27th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.

I don't know for certain (obviously, I'm not a doctor, LOL) but I have been doing a bit of research lately and It seems you just finish off your cycle wherever it's at, your cycle doesn't change. You may get a little bleeding/spotting when it's removed because of the agitation.

I had mine out on 24th april and got a period on May 24, which was abnormal for me, as I always had longer cycles. But it has gone back to normal for me after that.