Thread: Starting contraception after miscarriage

Default Starting contraception after miscarriage

Hi ladies,

I have a gp appointment next week but hoping for some insight before then.

I've just been diagnosed with a non viable pregnancy and my hcg level is at 23 (rose from 20, 48hours after the precious test.) I've had a scan, I should be 5 weeks pregnant they can't see anything which didn't surprise me really.

My question is how long before I can get a mirena fitted? This was our last chance to TTC due to health issues so unfortunately we won't be having any more children.

Do I have to wait for my levels to drop below 5 before insertion? Has anyone been through this? I've been Dr googling and can't find any info.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have any advice, I just wanted to send you some love and a hug. I'm sorry you didn't get better news honey.

I was told to wait 1 period/cycle and then get Mirena inserted.

Default Re: Starting contraception after miscarriage

Quote Originally Posted by Rosetti View Post
    I was told to wait 1 period/cycle and then get Mirena inserted.
    Thanks for the hug Calluna.

Rosetti thanks for the info sweet. I will ask my gp next week and get all the pre mirena stuff done in the meantime.

I don't have any experience with your question. I just wanted to stop in and give you a hug, I am sorry to read our update about another MC and finishing TTC journey. It must be a very difficult decision for you to process. xx

I had my mirena inserted when I had a d&c, had no issues with it whatsoever. Mine did come out but that was 12 months later and because of a fibroid.

I'm trying to remember the time frame but from there being no heartbeat on ultrasound to it being fitted was only like a week, I certainly didn't wait until my next cycle.

Default Re: Starting contraception after miscarriage

Toomanyshoes, I don't know whether or not they are going to do a d&c with me though. My hcg at the last reading was only 23. I think they are waiting for my body to do it's thing... :-(