Thread: Two in a row - do I need testing...?

Default Two in a row - do I need testing...?

I will discuss this with my family doctor soon, but I wondered if anyone here could share some thoughts/experiences. I have had 7 healthy normal pregnancies, and now 2 miscarriages in a row, at 7 weeks and 10 weeks. Both times the baby stopped developing well before the miscarriage actually occurred. The first time I miscarried, I figured it was just one of those things - I was beating the odds with 7 babies and no trouble. But two in a row makes me worry a little. I am a healthy weight (142lb/64.4kg), eat well, exercise daily, and generally feel well. I am 34. DH and I have no family history of genetic issues, and our children are all healthy and well. What do you think? What questions should I be asking? Should I be asking for specific tests? I'm not quite sure what I need to do here. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
    Last edited by Cricket; May 28th, 2015 at 10:50 AM.

Default Re: Two in a row - do I need testing...?

sorry about your m/c cricket. ive also had two (one before, one after DS1) from what i have read they tend to do testing after 3 miscarriages. i have no idea the basis of this, but i do recall reading that information somewhere.

I hope you dont have to worry about it and you go on to have another healthy pregnancy very soon.

Thanks for your reply AlligatorsMum. I hope so too!

Sorry to hear about your recent loss Cricket. I had two miscarriages(5 weeks and 13 weeks) in a row a few years ago after three normal and healthy pregnancies and births. My second miscarriage had complications afterwards,they reassured me at the clinic that two is common and ok. When I was well enough to get pregnant again I was pretty scared and for the first time asked for an early scan, I was extremely anxious and had an incredible sonographer that cried with us as we spotted a heartbeat at 6 weeks. I would say after as many babies as you have had it would not be genetic. Are your cycles normal and healthy??

LBF - that is encouraging to hear. Thanks for replying. Sorry to hear about your losses - it is hard, isn't it?
    My cycles are pretty normal I think. Not quite 100% regular - often vary a couple days from month to month, but other than that, normal.

I had such a different experience with each miscarriage, much like birth itself. The first one was quite beautiful and labour pains followed by passing the baby, I had a 'high' afterwards, not in a creepy way just those endorphins working overtime... the next one was more difficult as I didn't expect to happen again, added to that I almost passed away because of complications after the miscarriage, I was in bed extremely ill for months. During this time, I had dreams about this person (baby) trying to come into earth, even still after two miscarriages and my own near death...I was so incredibly sad and hopeful all in one. Looking at babies really hurt for months, and the due dates coming and going hurt, but each step was another step taken, and now we have our two year old that has filled us with such love and we all wanted her so badly, we walked through the gates of humility to meet this babe, I felt like the miscarriages and lead up to her life were preparation to be ready to mother her, it was such a life changing experience on a very deep level!

Glad to hear your cycles are all good... maybe just see what the Dr suggests, I hope you get to meet a healthy baby in your family soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    LBF - that is encouraging to hear. Thanks for replying. Sorry to hear about your losses - it is hard, isn't it?
    My cycles are pretty normal I think. Not quite 100% regular - often vary a couple days from month to month, but other than that, normal.

I think I know what you mean about the high. I experienced something similar, I think, after passing the placenta and sac with this last miscarriage. (I don't think there was anything identifiable as baby at that point - the baby stopped developing quite early on, though I carried the pregnancy until 10 weeks.) And I know what you mean about the hurt - a friend posted a pregnancy announcement on facebook, with ultrasound pics that were the same gestation that I should have been when I went for my dating scan that told me there was no baby. Their pictures of course had a baby on them. What I saw on mine was empty. I'm happy for them, but it still brought some tears... We haven't told many people about this, because we weren't (aren't) ready to talk about it with everyone yet. It's nice to have BB to share experiences!

Sorry to hear of your recent losses. As the others have said, sadly its pretty common . I have 8 children and have had 14 pregnancies, with 2 miscarriages in a row at one point. I had a 34 wker (my gorgeous #4), a late loss at 19wks, an ectopic and then finally fell pregnant with my gorgeous #5 all in the space of 14 mths. Sometimes these things just happen and theres no rhyme or reason why, nor does it mean anything is wrong, I do understand the worry over it though. I don't think i would be looking at needing further investigation at this point, if it happened another 1 or 2 times then I would consult someone. If you need more reassurance, then I would book a long appointment with your gp and discuss all your worries with them. Thinking of you.

Thanks so much for your reply kristi14. It is really good to hear that others have gone through things like this and gone on to have healthy pregnancies. Sorry to hear about your little ones lost also.
    Mind if I ask what the age gap is from oldest to youngest in your family?

I have had 5 pregnancies with 2 little boys to show for it. I have diabetes which adds some extra complications into the mix but it was actually my endocrinologist that pushed for me to have testing if i lost another, i was currently pregnant with number 5 so they put me on a few extra things like high dose folate and low dose asprin and i had an early scan to see everything was ok. I carried him to term and had my tubes clipped as i couldn't deal with any more losses. Both my boys are perfectly healthy and happy.
    I was 38 when I had my last and the ob did mention that as you age you can experience more miscarriages as the eggs are older and tend to have more chromosomal abnormalities.
    I'm sorry for your losses and i hope you get your earthside baby soon

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I had three before they tested me further. I think in lots of cases they wait for three. It's too heartbreaking I might be inclined to say you've had three to get the ball rolling?
    I have a blood clotting issue which wasn't discovered until the testing after 3.
    Good luck

Hi Cricket, yep, after a big run of blows i went on to have #5 and #6 successfully, then i had another miscarriage, I then waited a year and fell pregnant with #7 and then waited 3.5yrs and had #8.

The age gap from #1 to #8 is 14yrs 9mths. At present #1 is 15yrs 3mths, #8 is 6 mths.

It is true what they say about as you get older too, over 35 (not sure if you are) and they label you of "advanced maternal age" and suddenly you have all these risk factors according to them that you didnt seem to have before. I found that big time with #8 as i was 35 turning 36 when i had him.

Sorry to hear about your losses Joeve. I'll maybe ask about clotting issues when I see my GP.

Kristi - I'm not quite 35. Not until October. DH and I were thinking that this would be our last baby, and I thought it might be good to be done before I was 35, but I guess that's not going to be the case. (Providing we are blessed with another one at some point....) Our oldest, as you can see from my signature, is 11, turning 12 this year, and our youngest is 21 months. I'm from a family of 8 kids as well, with a spread of 19 years. I was the oldest. I like having my kids close together though, and I'm sad that there is going to be a 3 year gap (+/-) between our current youngest and a future baby. But I guess this is out of our hands, so we'll just take it as it comes.

On the plus side (not really) I saw the dentist today and can now get my dental work caught up... 6 fillings to be done. OUCH.