Thread: What did you tell colleagues when you stayed home for MC?

Default What did you tell colleagues when you stayed home for MC?

I'm after some advice. I work in a small office & we're quite close & generally know each others business. I've taken a few days off as recommended by my FS as it appears I'm having a MC. It's very early (2 weeks past missed period) and there was worry that I was having an ectopic as my HCG & progesterone levels stagnated. I feel fine, the odd twinge, still have tender boobs but that's it. As my levels dropped yesterday I'm expecting to MC by the weekend & go back to work Monday.

I know people will ask what was wrong, & I don't want to tell them but don't want to make a big deal or draw attention... Can anyone suggest an illness or something that you said? I've told a couple of them (who already asked) that I'm unwell, but now I'm thinking I should have been more vague..

I told them the truth, simply because I didn't want to be asked over and over again. At least if I said it to one person, it would travel around the office without me having to repeat it.

Hugs to you

I told the truth too. I knew my colleagues well and they all knew I had been ttc. Plus I had a colleagues who was a few months pg, who I couldn't look at and barely talk to, so she needed to know why.

I didn't return to work :/ still haven't gone back. But have had two kids since.

So sorry for your loss.

I told the truth too

Initially I just said I was sick. When I went back someone asked if I was feeling better and I burst into tears and ended up telling them the truth. I found it made it easier to get through it.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I had a dr cert from the hospital so I made up a kidney infection I couldn't tell the truth as I just couldn't have handled any more sad faces looking at me.

Ive had numerous mc and made up all sorts of excuses.

Once I said I had a bad flu when i had to take 2 weeks. That lie was hard to maintain though.

Another time I said I had to have a minor day surgery procedure (which was true - d&c) and needed a few days to recover. That worked as most people didn't ask anything further and if they did I just said its nothing serious just something I had to get fixed up and left it at that.

Another time I blamed a gastro bug...

At the end of the day it's up to you and how close you are with your work colleagues. I didn't want mine knowing we were ttc as it might impact on my opportunities at work.

Quote Originally Posted by chody47 View Post
    Initially I just said I was sick. When I went back someone asked if I was feeling better and I burst into tears and ended up telling them the truth. I found it made it easier to get through it.
    Yeah, I did this... I left the office abruptly as I started bleeding, my project manager was fortunately a good friend so I texted her what was happening and she handled the rest of the team, including telling my line manager (different person) that I was unwell. Also fortunately, it was a Thursday, Friday was my day off, then we had a long weekend, and I'd organised an extended long weekend so I had the week off planned already, which was good because I was in no fit shape to return to work. I actually then needed another week, so I got a medical certificate for the next week as well as the first, then when I got back to work I just told everyone that my holiday turned into sick leave and I'd been sick the whole time.

A few that I was close to I shared but it was only two of them, not everyone else.

You do what feels right to you. There's no right answer... Many hugs

My work is where i got treated for the MC so they let the coordinator know who then let the ward know..

I only told my boss, our work place if just a gossip place and i just don't want to deal with it.

Mine was over new years, great timing! I ended up saying i had bad tonsilitis (my partner rang up for me) and my doc gave me a whole week off, seemed to work ok xxx

Default Re: What did you tell colleagues when you stayed home for MC?

Thanks everyone. I ended up telling my boss who was really good about it, & told anyone who asked that I'd had a health scare, & if they asked what I just said it was unpleasant but I'm ok now...