Thread: Anyone actually had an Au Pair?

Question Anyone actually had an Au Pair?

Has anyone actually had an Au Pair? Looking for some feedback.

I think this is the best thing for us, I need an extra pair of hands, someone to babysit occassionally and give us some couple time, and some one on one time with DD1 that she is sorely needing at the moment. Financially this seems the best option - we have the space and an extra plate at meals is hardly taxing! lol

So basically just looking for some real experiences, not the glossy photos on the website

We often talk about this. Can't wait to see if there are some 'real' stories

we never have, but a good friend of mine has. she actually has her second au pair at the moment.
    her first one was ok, but a bit too young, i think. she lacked experience and initiative and needed a lot of direction.
    her second one is brilliant and they are spewing she has to leave soon. she has told me that she would definitely recommend it to others.

I'd like to know too. Can't see myself coping without one if we have number 3!

I'm very interested to hear how other families have found it too...

A friend of mine had an au pair but found she got frustrated by having someone else in their home 24/7, especially when her husband was home (FIFO). She stuck it out with the au pair for 6 months but then got a full time nanny instead who was at the house three weekday mornings at 8am and left anywhere from 3.30pm to 8pm depending on the needs of the day. The nanny was also pretty available for evenings and weekends for babysitting when they went out as a couple. SHe looked after the kids and did basic housework, washing etc. Worked pretty well for them, and at only $15 odd an hour it was much cheaper than day care for a couple of kids, getting a cleaner etc.

I am looking into maternity nannies atm - specifically a nightly maternity nanny. I find that option more appealing than an Au Pair, though I would love to hear any feedback.

Our first au pair leaves us on Tuesday and we are currently looking for our second.

Dh wants to do this, but I am not sure!!
    He thinks we should try it when no.3 comes along just to help us out as dh's parents never help us (away traveling) and mum lives 2hrs away. We have no help.

Maybe one day.....

I was an au pair in the USA when I was 18.......many years ago. I think I was probably pretty annoying to have in the house but I was pretty useful as a fulltime helper.
    I would only have an au pair if they had thier own space (granny flat or similar). I'd be happy to feed the extra mouth and love the help but having another adult about once our LO is in bed for the evening I think would be quite draining.
    When I worked in the states the people had a huge house and I actually lived in the servants section of the house. Had my own room, bathroom, sitting room (where the kids often joined me) and I could dissapear for the times I wasn't needed. I got pretty bored doing the job 'cause the people I worked for didn't really involve me in going places and stuff. The kids were lovely though.

Danielle - how is this going for you?? We are really thinking about it as I have just gained a massively well paid job but along with it is a massive hours and the ccr and ccb would jump massive for us.

It's great just about to pull the boys out of daycare (hand notice in tomorrow)

We have a family handbook that I'd happily share with anyone looking into it.