Thread: Anyone Found A Babysitter Online?

Default Anyone Found A Babysitter Online?

DP and I have no family or friends who can babysit on a regular basis and we never get any couple time because he works late shifts most of the time so is not home until very late so we don't even get time together when the kids have gone to bed.

So, we've decided to bite the bullet and get a regular babysitter so we can go out for Sunday lunch when he's not working.

Anyhow, I posted an ad on an online site and had a couple of responses. My question, is what d'you think would be the next step?

If this was a formal nannying job, then obviously I'd interview them but is that OTT for a couple of hours on a Sunday arvo now and again? If I'm going to interview them, should I pay them petrol money to get here for an interview? We live in the country so there's fairly big distances involved.

At the same time, I don't want to just invite them here to babysit and see how they go because I won't know them from a bar of soap.

I've found long-term babysitters/nannies online - definitely interview them, you have to know what they're like and get a feel for them before you can leave your kids with them. Is there any way you culd meet them half way or something?

Is there a babysitting agency in your area? When we moved to Darwin for a bit last year, we used a really big one, so they do all the leg work for you. The lady we had was lovely.

I've been a babysitter on an online site, and it is annoying to interview for a short or infrequent job. At the same time, I wouldn't hire someone without it, so it's tricky.

Call them, tell them what sort of work you're offering, see if they don't mind "dropping by" with their first aid quals and police check (maybe a written reference?) Tell them it will be 20 minutes or less, and let them pick the time. That way you both get to suss each other out.

An alternative (and my personal fave method) is get them to come an hour early for a date you don't *have* to keep. Spend that time introducing the sitter to the kids and if you get the heebie jeebies, just can the outing. I love this because I've never been turned away. A weirdo might not be too pleased though...

Can you arrange to meet a potential baby sitter closer to town perhaps at a park or the library so not only you get to interview them but so does your little one as you can see how they interact.

We have not done this, but were thinking of doing the same thing. We have no friends or family here, so thought If we could find a sitter we & the kids like we could have an outing once a fortnight etc together...or were thinking of taking up dance lessons together.

I hadn't thought to put an ad online, instead i've just looked online for the sitters that have ads in our areas....there is a site you can join for something like $25 that only qualified, accredited sitters advertise on. Once you join, you can see all their details etc & the prices are competitive also which is good.

As for an interview I would want to meet them first, and if the children have not been left with someone much before you need to know how they would go. What I was thinking of doing was booking the sitter of choice & pay them whatever their rate to come around for an hour or two whilst I stay to see how they go with the children & so the children get to know them.

We have used sitters at hotels before with no problems at all.

i actually run a babysitting/nanny agency and cover gold coast to hervey bay, some sites just be aware of thats all, , make sure you meet them first to see if they are suitable for you and also try find one that you will get all the time so your kiddies and you feel comfortable. hope this helps