Thread: Day care/nannying/baby sitting

Default Day care/nannying/baby sitting

Not too sure what to call this... But one of the girls at our church is studying her Cert III in childcare (or whatever it is) and is looking for as much baby sitting/child care work as possible.

I'm back to work soon and the idea of having someone look after my kids in my home for the day is very appealing and takes the worry out of finding child care etc.

So how much do you guys think we should offer per hour?

How does it work with the child care rebate? Would we still be eligible, or more to the point, what would we need to do to be eligible? Might need to post that question in the centerline section...

What else do we need to consider? We're going to ask her round to show her our house and have a good chat about how it would work. She already has a working with children check but I'm not sure about first aid. I'll ask that, and also what she would do in case of emergencies.

What else??

I got $15 p/h when I babysat. I have my first aid cert (almost expired) but no working with children or cert III. She sounds good, goodluck

Thanks PZ! How long did you baby sit for at a time? I'm wondering if because it's going to be a longer term, longer hours type arrangement, I should offer more?

What did you do during your babysitting?

You wouldn't be eligible for the CCR in this arrangement. CCR is only for people in 'approved' care, generally registed child care centres and FDC. Babysitting and Nannies are not eligible.

Google ATO and Nanny, there is a fair bit of information to read about it. Care for Kids site has a good summary about hiring a nanny, the obligations, rate, what to look for etc

Good luck!

At the most it would be a 6 hour day. On days where I was there longer we'd work out a set rate for the day rather than $15 p/h. I'd do whatever was required, depending on the age of the child/ren. If it were a little bubs that is generally easier; bathe, feed, change, etc. Older kids, make lunches, or feed brekky, play, put down for naps, go to parks, help with school work (if old enough). For night jobs, help mum cook dinner, bathe kids, stories etc. Just basically an extra pair of hands.

Thanks so much for all your advice! Off to do some googling...

FabFiona I thought as much with the CCR. Might make a difference to the affordability...

Whilst I think about it, I know someone from my Mothers Group hired a 'Mothers Helper'. Not so much a babysitter but someone that was with her when she was home and then working from home. She also helped around the house.

I think she paid her $20 per hour. She advertised on Gumtree so you might find other ads on there that would give you an idea of rates.

i actually run a babysitting/nanny agency and cover gold coast to hervey bay, my girls get about 15 to 17hr, depending on how many kids, make sure you meet them first to see if they are suitable for you and also try find one that you will get all the time so your kiddies and you feel comfortable. hope this helps

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by traylee01 View Post
    i actually run a babysitting/nanny agency and cover gold coast to hervey bay, my girls get about 15 to 17hr, depending on how many kids, make sure you meet them first to see if they are suitable for you and also try find one that you will get all the time so your kiddies and you feel comfortable. hope this helps
    Can u pm me ur details I may need ur services I'm at brown plains

i pay a private baysitter for my 2 girls. $290 a week for 4 days. drop them off at 8 they are generally picked up by 4 (5pm at the latest)

A friend of mine is just starting an arrangement like this. She is paying the babysitter $20/hour to look after a 10 month old and a 4 year old, plus 2 school aged kids before school. It is for the whole day.

We just completed a nanny search. I learned that there is a difference between the job responsibilities of a nanny vs those of a babysitter. If you expect more interaction/attention to your children (which you probably do because they are younger like my DS) then you would be looking at nanny rates as opposed to babysitting rates. Nannies are also expected to do the children's laundry, prepare their meals, settle them for naps, bath them (if you want), clean-up from the meals and form all activities, take them to the park, read to them, take them to play group if you request, etc. (basically, anything that you would do provided it is about the children) - and they are expected to do it as per your instructions - for example, if you are doing Baby Led Solids, the nanny would follow suit. Nannies are also paid more than babysitters. Our nanny-to-be has 10 years experience and has great references (plus first aid etc.), and her rate is $24/hour. Unfortunately, no rebate though as others have explained.

PS - as we will be paying the nanny more than $7,500/year as an independent contractor, we are required to take out a Work Cover policy.