Thread: How much for a Nanny?

Default How much for a Nanny?

I have a 4 week block of Uni Prac coming up shortly and we need someone to take care of the kids.

I'm in talks with a woman who's just moved over from NZ and has Early Childhood qualifications but is waiting for them to be assessed against Australian qualifications.

Neither if us know what kinda money she is entitled to.

Can anyone help?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Someone experienced like that would be around $25 an hour as a nanny.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

If you are looking for nanny hours - not just casual babysitting - the rate is more like $30-$35 an hour.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Wow, I never paid that much! I used them a great deal for births and it was always in the 20's.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Is there a website, like fair trade, where you can find out what the award rates are?

Wowsers!

I think it'll be cheaper to send them to a Centre

If you have 3 or more children, $25/hr is cheaper than a childcare centre!

Have you looked into family day care in your area?

No not yet.

It'll be school holidays for the first 2 weeks I'm on prac so it's why I was leaning towards a nanny - that way she could take the girls to school holiday stuff and all 3 kids could still be together.

I'm going to call around tomorrow.

If you go through a Centrelink approved agency, you can still claim any CCB and CCR you are entitled to with a nanny.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    If you go through a Centrelink approved agency, you can still claim any CCB and CCR you are entitled to with a nanny.
    Really I didn't realize that - I thought that was what Tony Abbott wanted to bring in - I didn't realize was a reality at all - how do you find a Centrelink approved agency?

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    Really I didn't realize that - I thought that was what Tony Abbott wanted to bring in - I didn't realize was a reality at all - how do you find a Centrelink approved agency?

Google Placement Solutions. They are who I go through (there are others). But they are an "approved Centrelink child care provider" or whatever, so CCB, CCR and JET can all be claimed (JET pending inhome care approval). You can't claim CCB/R for an au pair though.

If you hire nanny privately, you won't be able to claim. I have heard that individual nannies *can* become "approved child care providers for Centrelink purposes" but am yet to come across any, as the hassle is too prohibitive it seems. But you can claim for FDC too... They must be "approved" carers - not "registered" carers I believe is the distinction made by Centrelink.

I pay $20/hr for an experience, fully qualified nanny in Sydney, one day per week. That's pretty standard if you hire privately. If you subscribe to findababysitter .com.au you can post an ad, with pay rates, time required, duties, etc and have nannies apply to you. You can peruse profiles free of charge, but I found this site the most cost effective and reliable way of finding a good qualified nanny.

Try asking around too, sometimes you can find someone through your network of friends.

Good luck! The bonus of a nanny is you can come home to a tidy house, washing taken care of and a few other little extras. My nanny cleaned the back patio while DD2 was asleep last week and raked the driveway!

LS - Mmm that site says if you are eligble for "in home care" but couldn't find a definition on it but if I google "in home care" does show other specific criteria you have to meet so doesn't appear available to all ?? Is that your understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post

Google Placement Solutions. They are who I go through (there are others). But they are an "approved Centrelink child care provider" or whatever, so CCB, CCR and JET can all be claimed (JET pending inhome care approval). You can't claim CCB/R for an au pair though.

If you hire nanny privately, you won't be able to claim. I have heard that individual nannies *can* become "approved child care providers for Centrelink purposes" but am yet to come across any, as the hassle is too prohibitive it seems. But you can claim for FDC too... They must be "approved" carers - not "registered" carers I believe is the distinction made by Centrelink.
    Actually, my old nanny (hired privately, found at the site I mentioned above) was registered and we were able to claim for CCB. It worked out to $3/hr. It did mean a certain level of qualifications (she had formerly managed a child care centre) and continuing registration each year. It wasn't difficult for her to continue to register and I seem to remember it was little more than lodging a form (from her side, not mine).

Not sure how much it would have contributed to our CCR, because DD1 was also in preschool one day a week and that tipped us over the threshold anyway.
    Last edited by Jennifer13; June 10th, 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    LS - Mmm that site says if you are eligble for "in home care" but couldn't find a definition on it but if I google "in home care" does show other specific criteria you have to meet so doesn't appear available to all ?? Is that your understanding?

My understanding was that even without my JET qualification, I could still claim for CCB and CCR. This was for DD1 (5) as there are no child care options available for her.
    Give them a call and have a chat to them; I'm on a single parenting pension and have maximum entitlement for CCB, not sure if that makes any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13 View Post
    Actually, my old nanny (hired privately, found at the site I mentioned above) was registered and we were able to claim for CCB. It worked out to $3/hr. It did mean a certain level of qualifications (she had formerly managed a child care centre) and continuing registration each year. It wasn't difficult for her to continue to register and I seem to remember it was little more than lodging a form (from her side, not mine).

Not sure how much it would have contributed to our CCR, because DD1 was also in preschool one day a week and that tipped us over the threshold anyway.

Yeah, a few of the people I spoke to said it was possible for individual nannies to be covered like that, I just never found any. I got the impression from what they said that many just can't be bothered jumping through the CL hoops.

My nanny is through the fdc place here so I get ccb for her and we pay a couple of dollars an hour. ($1.50 I think? )

with qualification you would be looking at $25 an hour. that's the going rate around this side of town (inner north)