Thread: thinking of getting an au pair

Default thinking of getting an au pair

I've been thinking about getting some kind of help around the house. I have a very active almost 11 month old, am trying to get my small business up and running (from home), and I am single. I don't have any family near me apart from my mum who helps out one afternoon per week so I can get some sewing done (my business), but I am finding I really need more help than that. I prefer not to send my baby to child care.

So I have been thinking about getting an au pair. I live in an area popular with overseas backpackers who come here to work as fruit pickers for a few months on their way around Australia, so I thought about finding someone directly (via note on noticeboard or something) instead of going through an agency. I really can't afford to pay for this as I am madly saving for travel and bubs schooling etc, so I was thinking of an exchange type scenario.. accommodation in exchange for work. I can't really have someone for more than two or three months, as then I would have to get them put on my lease. It would be wonderful to have company, I have always lived with other people and am finding living alone with a baby very isolating, so I'm looking forward to sharing a house again, if I find the right person obviously.

What I am thinking is placing an ad something like this:

Wanted: Au Pair
    Accommodation, basic food and internet provided in exchange for 10 hours (?) baby care/house work per week. Must have police check, and working with children check. Must love babies, be eco-friendly, and be a non-smoker. 2-3 month agreement.

Is there anything else I should be asking/stating? I am going to have a 1-2 week trial period, and also some kind of thing saying if they do not work the required hours they will need to pay a certain amount for the room, more than one week of no work they will have to move out. Should I be asking for some kind of deposit/bond for the room if they are not paying me rent?

PS Silly question, but is this 'position' classed as an "au pair"?

Hey Bec,

I think you should do the maths first - 10 hours care is worth about $150-200, does that sound like a fair trade for room, food and internet? Sounds pretty generous if you ask me! I'd be looking to up those hours I think. That's also only two hours a day, over five days a week of course. They aren't going to get much done in just two hours. Otherwise I think it sounds like a great idea!

Thanks Ocean Princess, I thought that too but where I live rent is very cheap. I only pay $190 a week for my house, so I think room rentals would be a lot less than that. But then again, if I am saving someone from having to pay anything at all then I am probably in a position to ask for more hours. Maybe 15?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've just hired one to start after the school holidays and I am so incredibly excited, as are the kids. Heard so many good things about it, and when you compare it to childcare costs its phenomenal. Can't wait!

Re the costs - I have seen people with all sorts of budgets and set-ups at different prices - people are willing to negotiate depending on all sorts of factors. I would jump onto au pair websites, read some profiles from families and get some ideas from there.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

What a great idea. Hope you find someone perfect for your house.

Thought I would post this for you... Australian Nanny & AuPair Network

I am looking into getting one at the moment - $150 for 25 hours a week, plus food and board. Pretty good. Plus through the agency you know who you are getting etc, not some random.