Thread: Best foods/cream for nappy rash

Default Best foods/cream for nappy rash

DD has a bad nappy rash for the forst time I suspect it is from teething. last night she was almost crawling up the wall trying to get away from me when I had to clean a pooh. It's very red and sore, poor little bub. I usually use sudocrem and also have curash medicated cream and also the powder. I am using the curash cream at the moment and she is laying on her tummy on DH lap right now with no nappy.

Should I stick to powder or cream? It doesn't necessarily have to be natural, I'm fine with sudo or curash etc. Also What foods are good to give? I know what to avoid, but was thinking maybe banana because it can make poohs more solid I am told.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Default Re: Best foods/cream for nappy rash

Destitin (sp) I use when I need clear up bad nappy rash. It's super thick and works fast

Default Best foods/cream for nappy rash

I've always used Amolin - it has a thick oily base (almondu oil) but also includes zinc. Usually enough to stave off full- blown rash.

If however, it goes the next step & takes hold, best to use an over the counter fungal cream (canesten) with a mild steroid (sigmacort). There's a product you can buy that combines both ingredients called hydrozole.

ETA personally I've always steered clear of powder based formulations - they either have talc (carcinogen) or cornstarch (which can become gritty when damp).

Thaks Joeve and Marydean. Can all these items be found at the chemist? I'm hoping it will clear up by tomorrow, if not I will head to the chemist.

Only thing I use for bad rash is Daktozin - expensive but works wonders and it's chemist only cream
    Any other time I use Bepanthen antiseptic cream

Id stay away from using any powder

I found desitin (sp?) to be better than sudocream, and when it got really bad (bleeding etc) - daktozin.

Both can be found at the chemist.

Hmmm,strange. She seems to scream more when I use cream and it doesn't get much better. But she seems ok when I use the powder. Plus it's better than yesterday using the powder. Once it's not so red I'll swap back to the cream.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I switched to a zinc & castor oil bum cream (from sudocream) as it apparently helps boost healing. Seems to work quicker at clearing it up anyway. There's a couple of different brands out there that I've got from the chemist.

I like the Gaia skin soothing lotion or Aromababy barrier balm.

For powder, I make my own using 50-50 corn flour and arrowroot, which stops it from becoming gritty.

Also, chuck a half cup of bicarb in her bath. That always helps here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    Thaks Joeve and Marydean. Can all these items be found at the chemist? I'm hoping it will clear up by tomorrow, if not I will head to the chemist.
    Yes, all off the shelf or over the counter.

Daktozin - works very quickly. We love it, I always have a tube handy.

Thanks Taurean, I did end up getting Daktozin and it has worked. But it seemed in the end it was only time with me that healed it properly She had it since Tues last week and she was in daycare Thursday and Friday and then I had a birthday in the city Saturday night so she stayed at my mums. And I know others do thier best, but I guess it's not the same as mothers instincts. I know exactly when to change the nappy, exactly when she does a pooh and I am very anal (excuse the pun) about a clean nappy area. So after 2 days at home with me it was already almost cleared up. Plus I found Bepanthen to be the best barrier cream. using that with the Daktozin worked a treat

Lots of air time, and sponging off, for nappy changes.

Less acidic things.

Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by peanutter View Post
    Lots of air time, and sponging off, for nappy changes.

Less acidic things.

Good luck !
    Haha yeah we did about 3 hours of air time one afternoon. She peed on the floorboards and did two small poohs on the rug!