Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloth nappies

Default Re: Cloth nappies

FL I use hippybottomus

Are they pocket nappies Dot Face? I have a friend who loves that brand. I wonder if the fit is right for your bubba? Do you think they just need extra absorbency? What are you washing them in?

I've been washing them as per the instructions on the website and using the detergent she recommends (Aware). I use warm water never more than 60?c.
    I'm not sure if they're pocket? If you go to the website you'll see what they're like, they're all the same unless she updated them since I bought them about 10 months ago.
    Regarding the fit he's leaked from them since birth. When he was born I figured they were too big still so used sposies. As he put on weight and moved up a size in the sposies I put him in cloth and was switching between cloth and sposies (cloth in day sposies at night) and then he was leaking again. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, I tried adjusting the nappies smaller and larger and putting an extea insert in just made it hard to put the nappy on and also meant I'd have to put him in one size bigger for clothing since the second insert made his bum that puffy.
    I eventually reached my wits end and have all but given up.

sounds like you need a strip wash, and a couple of days of sun. your nappies will smell like new again.

How many times have you washed them DF?

DF - are the nappies very wet when he leaks (full of wee so can't hold anymore) or is the wee leaking rather than being soaked up by the nappy?

FL I'm not sure, I've lost count...I washed them twice before using them and since then maybe 10-15 times?

Hotl it was a bit of both I believe. He'd leak either because nappy was too full or because I'd not clipped it properly. So maybe sometimes for some reason the nappy doesn't soak up the wee. Why wouldn't it though? I can't think of what I could be doing wrong...

I always check nappies immediately before a nap, and generally straight after, too. That way they're less likely to soak through if they have a long sleep.

The website recommends quite a large amount of clothes washing liquid. I wonder if its too much. Have you done a strip wash lately at 40-60 degrees with half a tsp of plain dishwashing liquid?

MCNs don't last as long as sposies before needing changing. I do as Pholi does - i always change before a nap. Still wets through sometimes though. You could try another, cover over the top for naps. Like fleece or just another cover. If you are using a zinc or beeswax nappy cream or even certain baby/massage oils this will impede the absorbency of the nappy so they may, as others have said, need a strip wash.

I've never used any kind of creams, only powder (have made sure to use less on cloth) and coconut oil which apparently is ok for cloth?

I'll try the strip wash and I'll upload a video whenever I can of putting the nappy on him to get your advice about whether I'm doing it right or not.

With the checking before and after a nap I usually don't know for sure when he's going to fall asleep as his naps aren't scheduled, and I am somewhat ashmed to admit I can't be bothered with all that checking I am probably one of if not the laziest mum I know.

Coconut oil is fine, yes. Could you put a towel folded in the cot or wherever so if there is leakage you at least don't need to change the sheets? Unless its leaked through of course.

Hah! It's his clothes I can never be bothered changing, he's leaked through to the bed only a few times and hasn't done it in ages so isn't a problem really...

Oh yes I know that feeling! I'd pop another cover on over the top or you can try adding boosters. Could just be a heavy wetter (like my DD1).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12