Thread: How late is "leaving it too late"

Matryoshka Guest

Default How late is "leaving it too late"

I keep getting that you mustn't leave it too late, and that DH was fully TT by age 2.

So for a boy, i'm curious, when is leaving it too late to start?

To be honest he's showing *most* of the ready signs, but i just can't commit to doing it consistently at this point in time. Is it really so bad to hold off another couple of months?

Man, I got the same from MIL, "Both my boys were completely TT'd by 2". Hmmmm....you can remember 30-odd years ago that clearly can you?

DS#1 was trained by the time he turned three. The best thing you can do is not put pressure on yourself or your DS and don't worry about what anyone else says. I took a very relaxed approach (I was pg with DS#2 so I was probably a bit lazy too!) and it worked for us. I started when he turned two, but felt he wasn't ready, so waited a few months and slowly tried again.

So in my opinion, I don't think it's bad to put it off another few months. Your sanity is more important and if you need to focus on other things right now (like we all do) then do so. They all get there eventually, there is no "rule" that says they have to be trained by a certain age. Just ignore other people's comments .

Alex still isnt tt and he is a month ahead of your DS Tanya. Like you we havent been able to committ to it consistently due to a lot else happening so we are hoping in the next few weeks once DD is at full-time school that we will be able to do it.

DD was tt by 2 but she really was exceptional. I know a few boys who are tt at the 2.5 age and a couple who were only tt at age 3. I am hoping that by 3 Alex will be tt as that is around the same time new baby arrives.

So in answer to your original question I wouldnt be too worried just yet.

Matryoshka Guest

Thanks ladies... can anyone show me some documented proof that he won't be in nappies forever??? she is literally very anxious about this and so putting on the pressure.

Ask her where the documented proof is that he will be in nappies forever! I would think the older they are, the more they understand and want to be a "big boy/girl" and would therefore be easier & quicker to train?

I have never heard anything about 'leaving it too late' - for what?
    In my experience the later you leave it, the quicker they do it.

Matryoshka Guest

*sigh* i know... just too late in regards to it being really hard to get him out of nappies - ie, in time for school. Not saying it doesn't happen but i've not come accross any kids still wearing nappies to school. Think she just thinks that because her DS took 1 week to train by age 2, that my DS is behind as he's 26 months now, and because he's ahead with everything else milestone wise.

Have googled and most info says boys take a bit longer, usually a bit later and anywhere from age 2.5-3.5. Apparently 30 years ago they started earlier though, i assume because it was easier than washing heaps of terry flats.

I really just need to reassure her because the pressure isn't helping me.

Mate - you do it when you feel he is ready - not when someone says you should be.

Or else she can come round and do it since she's the expert

FWIW - my nephew is at school and I think, has only JUST learnt how to poo in a potty. beforehand he would just hold it in until he got home to get a nappy on...lol

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Charlie is only just starting to TT - not yet done something in the toilet but knows when he needs to go, just get scared when he gets there and won't 'let go'. He turns 3 in April.

Loads of kids at his daycare aren't yet TTed, quite a few who are older than him.

paradise lost Guest

DD has been half TT for months and we STILL aren't there! If she's not got a nappy on and we're in the house she's good to go, but if i put clothes on her (pants, tights, trousers (it is FREEZING here) she just pees in her clothes. We were almost there then we moved house, then we were almost there and she got really constipated and a nasty and painful anal fissure, now we're getting there again...

She'll be 3 in April. So much for girls being quicker!

I was TT at 14 months. This is because my mum sat me, every hour, on the hour, on the potty or toilet and i STILL had accidents about 4 times a week. To me that is not trained, that is (not even very good) EC. You could put your DS into pants RIGHT NOW and he would probably wet them once or more times a day - would she feel better then!?

Every now and then i fret a bit about DD and her TT, but then i remember SIL telling me, when she had her fissure, that i should make her sit on the toilet, even if she screamed until she vomited, because she "has to learn" and i realise what is more important to ME as a mum. And it's not where she goes to the loo!

Bx

I am a kindy teacher (5 year olds) - none of the kids have come to school in nappies! So they all get there eventually. Don't worry about it! Surely it must get easier to train them as they get older and language improves (rather than harder).

21st birthday = waaaaay too late.

If you're not at least halfway there by the third birthday, I'd be a little concerned (Professional Bean speaking) By halfway there, I mean getting about 50% of wees in the toilet, or staying dry between changes, or telling you what's going on in the nappy. There's plenty of other individual toddler issues, of course; everyone has their own journey!
    But more important than anything not to stress about it. I've seen *so* many kids who have big issues because they've been forced or aren't comfortable. It causes bigger issues than your ILs can give you!
    Tip for dealing with the ILs, or anyone else, with this one: Smile, but with your lips closed. Maintain eye contact. While doing this, use your tongue to write something on the roof of your mouth - blah blah blah, FFS, other expletives are my favourites.

Good luck!

i know how u feel, me and my Dh were just discussing yesterday lunch and then he made the decision that our son was ready and MIL thinks so aswell. But its really hard to communicate with a 24mth old.

i did tell him off but im 31weeks preg so its not exactly easy lol