Thread: knickers over night?

Default knickers over night?

dd has been day dry for over a year. she has had a handful of dry nights, but fairly irregularly. im not worried, she sleeps heavily once she finally gets to sleep, and I don't think she has physical control yet.

however, she is starting to get real angry about wearing a pull up at night. we have talked about 5 nights of dry pull ups then she can try knickers, while saying sometimes it takes awhile for muscles to learn how to stay dry overnight...

im now starting to doubt myself and wonder if weting in knickers might help make the connection for her.

did you wait for dry nights?

Default Re: knickers over night?

Yeah I did only cos couldn't be bothered getting up to change sheets etc. so waited for a week of dry night nappies. she has been more consistently dry in knickers (not accidents yet touch wood) since than when she wore a nappy though. Not sure if coincidence or not.

We didn't. DD1 asked for undies at night when she started wearing them during the day so we just went with it because well, we just thought let's she what happens rather than try and fight with her about it every night. We figured she would either be fine or would wet and decide to stay in pull ups a bit longer for comfort so it would sort itself out. She actually never had a problem, gets up in the night to use the toilet occasionally and very rarely wet the bed... maybe 5 times total and she's almost 5 now. So guess we got lucky.

"Toilet training" was my biggest parenting fear

No. And yes. And then no. LOL.

Do you recall - I had a lot of dramas with DD. She so wanted to wear knickers at night. But she kept wetting. And I had a new baby and was tired and over it. So we put her back into pull ups. Then realised she was being lazy, I suspected anyway, and she kept asking to wear undies, so I talked to her about it (she was over 4 by this stage) and we agreed if she had five dry nappies she could go into undies and she'd get a special reward. She made it into undies and got her special reward but then started having accidents again. So we did 10 dry nights and another special reward. She made ten and we haven't looked back since.

DS1 we approached total differently... Kept asking him if he wanted to wear undies, he kept saying no thanks. Then one day just after 3yo he said yes so we put him in undies. Had two accidents the first week, one the next, done. We were putting him into nappies overnight still but after a week we realised he was waking up dry and running to the toilet so I asked if he wanted to wear undies overnight and he said ok. And he's had like three accidents overnight total.

He was dry at night before DD was. Different strokes!

DD was having dry nights, so I dropped the night nappy. But it warmed up & she's been having a bottle before bed again, so has started wetting again. She'd prefer to wear the nappy & have a bottle, than ditch the nappy & lose the bottle as well...

But she can tell the difference, hates a wet bed & chooses the nappy over being wet. If your DD experiences the feeling of a wet bed, she may decide to either try get it right, or just go back to the nappy til she's ready?

Yeah, i have a feeling DS will be dry overnight first too. Lately, he has woken up, taken his wet nappy off, come back to bed and then stayed dry for rest of the night. DD doesn't even register that she has wet overnight.

Her pull ups have got less full overnight, but they are still wet. I have tried waking her to take her to the toilet, but she sleeps quite soundly and isn't interested in waking to wee.

I don't think she is ready, and am happy to just stick with the pull ups until she is, but hate the argument over the pull up.

Day toilet training was really easy, i just left her to decide on knickers vs nappy, and we didn't have many accidents at all.

OP, maybe it was you i got the idea from of 5 dry nights then knickers.

One more question, some mornings she will say "see, i'm all dry!", but the pull up will be wet. I wasn't sure whether i should be saying "yeah, great job", or "ah, it's a little bit wet, but getting there". If i pretend that she is dry, she isn't learning and won't understand why she can't go to knickers.

And if you do go knickers, before they are 100% dry - what do you put on the bed? She has a mattress protector, but i don't know if that will cope with a full bladder. Will a towel work, or do i need brollie sheets or similar?

I don't have brolly sheets, but have plastic sheets on both the smaller kids beds.

Is your DD waking wet? Or does she wet just after she wakes, before the nappy comes off? I know a lot of the time DD was wetting after she woke up & if the nappy wasn't on she'd go to the toilet. But it was when she started wetting through the night, then crawling into my bed I went back to nappies.

We did undies first then pull-up over the undies, as for the mattress we use a protector that sits on top of the bottom sheet, so any accident can be cleaned up quickly without having to do the sheets in the middle of the night

DD used to do that too... Or she'd take it off and put it in the bin then say "it was dry mummy" looking a little shifty... So I'd go check and sure enough no, not dry. So I would say "no, not quite sweetie, back to the start sorry". She'd be unhappy about it but I figured we had to be honest about it. No one wins if you aren't truthful. This was when we were counting days anyway - I wanted it to be an accurate measure of five dry nights.

Quote Originally Posted by beansbeans! View Post
    ... as for the mattress we use a protector that sits on top of the bottom sheet, so any accident can be cleaned up quickly without having to do the sheets in the middle of the night
    We have them too. Annoyingly when my kids wet overnight most of the times the top sheet and doona get wet too so didn't really work for us as well as I would have hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by ~clover~ View Post
    Is your DD waking wet? Or does she wet just after she wakes, before the nappy comes off? I know a lot of the time DD was wetting after she woke up & if the nappy wasn't on she'd go to the toilet. But it was when she started wetting through the night, then crawling into my bed I went back to nappies.
    Nah, pretty sure she wets overnight in her sleep.

i have thought about undies under the pull up, to give her more of the wet feeling. did it help beansbeans?

My dd went pretty much from soaking over night to undies. She asked to where undies, I said we would trial it if she stayed dry then she could keep wearing undies over night. About a week in she had one accident but that was it, she woke up busting but couldn't get up quick enough.

We waited, but it was purely because within a few days of being toilet trained during the day, she started waking dry in the morning. We let her wake dry for a few weeks before going for knickers overnight though. I didnt want to be getting up at night to change her bed and she didnt mind her 'sleeping nappy' being put on anyway.

HotI, Yeah undies under the pull-ups worked for a bit and it was easier to teach them what dry meant (undies were obviously wet or dry). I think thats the hardest thing about pull-ups is that although we can tell they are wet, everything gets soaked up way too fast for the kids to really get it... After a while they would ask if they could skip the pull up and we would so long as the undies were dry for how ever many nights.

OP, yeah they would do the same, wet the whole bed some nights (Their favourite thing to do was to kick the blankies off, somehow get the blankies under them before wetting the bed, and of course that had to be done in the middle of winter . I did find bigger ones that covered more of the bed, though, but they were able to figure out to beat those too