thread: Toilet Training. Advice, tips EVERYTHING needed.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Mar 2008
    Vic

Thanks Nai.

On the weekend, we went to a friend's house and we were there all afternoon. Their son turned 3 in Feb and has potty trained since then so DD was watching him go. But when she needed to go (she was wearing a nappy), she couldn't find a quiet spot and lay face down on the couch and sobbed. My friend took out her son's potty and put it in her son's room and I went in with DD and closed the door and she say on the potty with her pants up and nappy on, still sobbing. I told her she didn't have to sit there and left the room, going back to a very wet nappy a few minutes later.

This is what it's becoming though. She won't even wee in her nappy. Going to be a few long months I think.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

hun.... you know what i would leave it for now, don't mention the potty or undies, don't even worry about asking if she needs to go.. she's a clever little cookie so maybe sit down and just tell her your not worried about wee's and poo's anymore and she can do what she wants - i'm sure it breaks your heart to see her sobbing and not doing anything and it's hard to be proud of her being so head strong now but it really is an admirable quality albeit an anoying one for now.

I have no advice hun, your doing an amazing job and i think at this stage there is no perfect answer..

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

You know what my thoughts are - she is definitely ready but she is choosing not to use the potty/toilet. She's smart and she's stubborn - not a good combo

I think you're doing the right things - I'm so sorry about the pain she goes through when she won't go.

I really think the move will kind of force things to a head - she can't go home, that IS home, so she needs to learn to go. Nappies or potty, she will have to learn. When you can't go home, when your mum is back and around, she will have to go.

But it might not be pretty.

Mar 2008
    Vic

Thanks girls. I KNOW she's ready to understand all the concepts. What she's seems to be struggling with, or ignoring, is the actual process of doing her business on the potty, or in her nappy. She knows she's supposed to do it there, she just doesn't want to. I've not said a word about it for a few days, just letting it go.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

hun, hope she's back to normal ASAP.

Oct 2008
    Newport, VIC

Old thread here, but wondering how you are going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2008
    Vic

She's going really well. Just out of the blue a couple of months back, she asked me about her friends. Rattled off all their names and asked me if they wear a nappy. In every instance, the answer was no they didn't. The next morning, I asked her if she would like to wear undies and she did - and started to wee on the potty, wiping herself and all.

Poo seems to be a different story, she's somewhat phobic of doing it in the potty and won't go to the toilet for wees or poo. But even with our new baby arriving, she has consistently used the potty. The other day I unintentionally left her in undies and we went out. No accidents.

Thanks for asking

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Yay! Sounds like huge developments have happened.

Oct 2008
    Newport, VIC

Good to hear! I like success stories. Well done to you for having the patience to let her come to this in her own time.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

How are things now PacRak?

Aug 2010
    Albs, WA

we had a first (failed) attempts while I was pregnant, but DD went back to nappies. Now shes up and down, and I really dont want to to be a drama, but she doesnt seem to care if shes wet!

Sep 2011

Toilet Training. Advice, tips EVERYTHING needed.

Wow your daughter sounds just like mine but with the exception of the holding it when people around - she would go in front of anyone. Glad to hear she is going potty now. My DD started using potty at 3y4months and then finally about 6 months later after issues of her holding her #2 during the day to wait for her night nappy she finally started going #2 on the toilet out of the blue after I let her pick a new toilet seat insert as her old one broke. She is just now at 4 1/2 staying dry most nights - had a couple of accidents but seems to be all good.

I've learnt that my DD is smart but needs to do things at her own pace and has done with all things that little ones need to give up. Good luck with the rest of TT'ing..