Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toilet training. What did you do?

Default Re: Toilet training. What did you do?

Saffy, yes I bought a potty last week. I had it out and let her go nappy free for about an hour before bath time. She sat on it a lot, but sat on the rug for 5 minutes (while I was on my phone!) and did a wee on the rug! Then sat back on the potty. I have only had nappy free time a couple of days after that. I need to be watching her and have nothing else to do so I can keep an eye which is proving very hard!
    I wonder what kind of toilet training 'program' your friend is using? I'm not in a huge rush to have it established here, but if I have troubles or she just doesn't get it I will might give it a go (so keep a copy handy )

Ive heard of that 3 day program. A few girls from here have done it. I think there was even a thread about it here.

Not sure what it's called but will keep it on hand, I only had a quick flick through it.
    Worth a try!

Oh good one, thanks

Any updates, tasha?

Quote Originally Posted by Andie78 View Post
    Any updates, tasha?
    I haven't had much of a chance to let her go nappy free. And when I have I don't have the time to follow her around and watch her! So we have only done nappy free a few times. She will sit on the potty and say 'poohs' and 'wees', but has yet to do either in the potty. She did wee on the rug though, she was sitting playing with toys so I didn't notice until later! So yeah, it's really hard when you don't have all day to follow them around. So the potty stays out, but the only time we have for nappy free is before her bath. But I'm happy to just do it every now and then for now as I don't think she is ready yet.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would revive it. DS has been telling me for a while when he does wees and poos. We have dabbled with the potty but no success. When changing his nappy first thing this morning I noticed that his nappy was pretty dry and then he said to me "potty". So i took him to his potty and he did a massive first morning wee on it. His first ever wee on it. I was so surprised and had a bit of a sob whilst trying to do a happy dance. He seems so grown up all of a sudden. I think we will be starting toilet training tonight when we get home from work/day care. I have the next three days off so will give it a red hot go. Keep the momentum going.

How is everyone else going?

That's so cute & upsetting, vic! What a big boy. We have noticed a real leap in ds over past few weeks - he's really grown up.

I'll be stalking to see how you go, good luck! Xx

Thanks Andie

How timely. My DD did the hold her nappy while doing a wee dancy/bounce thing this morning. For a little while she has been bringing new nappies when she needs to go. She isn't 18 months yet and I don't know how to train her so haven't done anything yet but I'm just about to research it. Not sure how I feel about my little baby growing up.

At daycare yesterday he sat on the potty but no success but I was not really expecting it. I would have been surprised lol. Last night we had an accident but it was my fault I should have put him straight on the potty when I took off his nappy. This morning we had an accident as dh didn't get to the potty quick enough. That said I am home today with him and we are working it out. I have learned that he goes potty every hour and forty five minutes. This morning we have been successful and had two wees and no more accidents. I have learned his clues and have moved the potty into the lounge room. He runs up to me "mum, mum, mum and I tell him to sit on the potty. He sits and then gets off and wanders around and then we repeat the process a couple of times and finally I leave him to it and he does his business. He knows he needs to go but panics a bit. Its so cute. I am pretty happy with our morning. I am surprised by how long in between wees. I was putting him on every 20 mins which drove him nuts. Now at the 1 and a half hour mark I whip off his pants and start asking him if he needs to go. He looks so cute in Jocks

No joy here! My stubborn DD refuses to enter into a discussion about it still, she's going through a rough patch at the moment so not pushing it or mentioning it very much, everybody few days I will just tell her about some of her friends who now wear undies and go to the toilet. Hoping it will sink in eventually

She likes to watch her mates on the toilet when they come round to play though

I am sure she will get there Saffy. We just went cold turkey and have not looked back. He still has accidents at childcare, usually 1 a day as he cant seem to get there quick enough. He tells them but by the time they get organised its too late. At home we have not had an accident in over a week and have been out and about. Last Sunday he held on for over 4 hours whilst out and about. I kept offering the toilet but he kept it for home and really let go lol. Its nice not changing nappies through the day but its more stress thinking about it. I am surprised how quick its happened. When we are about to go out the door I now dont even mention it. Just hold his hand and start chatting away about something he loves, usually trains, walk to the potty, put him on the potty, wait for the business, pull up the pants, take care of said business, wash hands and move on all without mentioning whats going on, just listing Thomas the tank trains etc lol. If i ask him he would say no and then we wont get out the door. And then i would stress he would want to go half way through the journey!

Vic that is excellent pogress.

We are waiting for warmer weather before we do completely no nappy. But have started slow, no nappies from the afternoon to before bed (that's when we're home). If he says he needs to go when he has a nappy on we take him also. We got two potty books and one has srickers for reward. DS loves the books! Our issue is when he's really into something he's playing with he doesn't want to stop to go potty. Only #1's so far tho!

Thats great J.Bear. Its an interesting journey this toilet training. We have not had any accidents since Fathers Day which is over a week and a half. All good at day care and at home now. Even being out and about is not an issue, he seems to be able to hold it till we get to a loo (or a bush lol) I pretty much just leave him to tell me now, unless its been over 2 hours and then i just steer him to the bathroom and he jumps on. We still use the potty at home as its easier for him however I am over cleaning it and emptying it so will soon consider switching to the loo. He uses the loo when we are out and about. Has not done a #2 in a loo yet though. He still wears a nappy to bed but am considering dropping the afternoon nap one as its always dry. His night time nappy is usually dry too but everything 3rd or 4th night i can feel his has been in it. I will wait to warmer weather to start the night time tt. I was not planning on starting but he decided he was ready so I just went with it. 6 weeks in and I think we should have waited that bit longer as it took 4 weeks of having the occasional accident where maybe if he was a bit older it would have been a bit quicker. Now, if only he could get his pants off himself and start taking himself

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12