Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toilet training. What did you do?

Default Toilet training. What did you do?

I am planning on starting toilet training in the next few months. DD will be 2 in July and she already tells me when she's done #2 most times. She has watched me on the toilet a few times and is very curious.
    I am just not sure how to go about it. I was thinking a potty first, set up where she can see it. Then move onto one of those seats with the steps that go onto the toilet. A friend of mine suggested to skip the potty and go straight to the step seat, but I'm not sure about that. I imagine she'd find it a bit daunting at her age. I don't want to scare her.

So what did you do? Did you skip the potty?

Oh and also, is just a cheap all plastic potty better than the fancy padded seat that you can take apart and clean?

TIA

Default Re: Toilet training. What did you do?

We have had a few stops and starts as DS1 was not quite ready but he is now showing us its time. He wont use the potty and will only use the toilet for which we have the steps up to the seat.

We had planned to start tomorrow but he seems to be night training before day training all by himself. He tells us hhe has poo (he has the words the wrong way round) and after a few random successes in the past month or so we last night had 3 wees and then this morning a poo on the toilet all from his own indications. Our biggest challenge has been him recognising the need to go before he does it.

subbing as starting to think about ds toilet training too. not yet, but soon. he grabs his nappy & tells me when he's done a poo/wee. he has also been 'playing' with the toilet for weeks. telling me he wants to go, sitting on there (with his clothes still on), hopping off, getting toilet paper & popping it in, flushing then washing his hands. I think it's just playing atm, but he's nearly at an age where I would watch for signs I guess. and he seems interested enough.

DS1 was toilet training by 2, but I had put a plastic $5 potty thing in the bathroom for a while so that when he was showering/bathing he would sit on the potty after nappy was taken off and go for a wee (or not lol) but he slowly than started progressing to having undie free time and I bought another potty for the lounge area and he started going on that.

We did have accidents when he was tired in the evenings for awhile but he really did a great job. Poos were essentially the same. occasional accidents, or on purpose hiding in a corner, but all in all an easy kid to toilet training cuz he was ready. I don't think you can rush these things.

I have had the $5 potty and also a Boon potty (I got second hand but probably about $90 RRP) and I don't see a difference. the plastic one was just fine. the boon one may have been slightly more comfortable to "rest" on when he is pooing for a while lol.

Subbing here too.

We have a potty and a plastic toilet seat and seem to go between the two. No success (no accidents either) yet but not really trying full on either. He seems to want to go to the toilet/ potty after he has done it. He comes up to me and pulls me to the toilet/potty. Crazy thing is on the way to the toilet he runs into his room to grab a book first Not too sure why or where he got that from as DH and I dont use books while in there.

I know he is still a bit off yet but he will happily sit on there. I have been putting him on the bathroom potty while I run the bath. Its a little padded Elmo one I think. He usually goes as soon as he sits in the bath so I know he does one then. I have even tried dunking his toosh in the water and pulling him out to pop him on the potty. I just dont think he understands he has to pee in there. I think once he does one the light bulb will go off.

I wanted to start with the potty as I had read that they can access it quickly whereby getting on to the loo can be an issue by themselves. DS will usually want to go on the loo though with his book so will just see how we go. I dont want to confuse him. For me, I need to work on him undressing his lower half. He is not one of those kids that seems to like taking their clothes off at random times lol. I dont know if I am ready to encourage him to take his clothes off.

Some of the kids at our childcare are training already but I guess they are a bit older than DS.

I swing both ways with toilet training. It would be nice to be over the nappies, but its easier than the "Mum I need the toilet" in the middle of Woolies. When I was doing child care I kept a potty in my boot for that reason. Our public toilets are streets away

Ask her which she prefers. And be prepared for her preference yo be a nappy still.

Liebling was aware of what was going to happen before he was 2 and able to use a potty. But as he preferred nappies, he would ask me for a nappy so he could do a wee, then take it off afterwards. When he decided to use the loo (age 3.5) it was really easy. It was just a long time for his preference to change.

My lot were the same at the same age in regards with interest to the toilet and telling me when they needed a new nappy. However none of them were ready to actually toilet train before 2.5yrs.
    Dd1 had a potty, but refused to use it. Dd2 and 3 used the normal loo with a kiddy seat on it. When they were starting to get ready to learn I took them shopping on their own to look at seats and little steps and bought the ones they liked best. Then it was a week at home with no nappies on. After a couple of days you can tell if they are ready to learn, they start to get the sequence of events. If after a couple of days they weren't seeming to get it, I would stop and start again in a few weeks or months.
    You can tell when they are getting it. They start to tell you they have had an accident, or they will tell you they need to go, etc.
    Personally I have found that following their cues to toilet training has made life a lot easier, there's no point forcing it. Be prepared for regressions.

Honestly......I'd wait!

Thanks everyone I think I will just buy a cheap potty and give it a try first and see how she goes. I'll just pop it somewhere and see if she's curious. We have floorboards so that will help with accidents lol. If she's not keen on the potty I'll try the big seat. Aldi has them for $15 next week I do like the idea of a potty in the bathroom. I'm thinking the sound of the bath filling up could encourage a wee??

That was always my though Tasha!

I remembered tho I did have one of the steps but it jus have been dodgey quality cuz it was horrible. Never felt stable and my DS hated it cuz he couldn't figure out how to turn around on it so he was sitting face out? It become more of an obstacle and when ur learning to wee on a toilet u don't need anythin slowing you down!! Lol

My DD is slowly getting interested but she isn't quite ready yet- I ask her every now and again and she says no.

I bought an El cheapo ages ago, it sits between the bath and the toilet so she sits on it most times I go to the toilet, either with clothes on or off, then jumps up and says "wee" but there's never anything in there lol. She did a wee in it once in summer out on our deck and we made a massive deal of it but never again. We also have a toilet seat which she sat on once and loved and has never touched again haha.

I wouldn't push it too hard, I am just letting my DD decide. She definately has a long gap between wees then does a massive one and she tells me when she goes. We also found some potty books at the op shop which she loves to read. She talks about wee and poo all the time too.
    One reason I am waiting a bit is because she started in occassional care 3 hrs a week this year and it triggered a bit of seperation anxiety and regression (wanting to go back in her highchair after she had moved on to a booster chair etc) so I am just giving her a bit more time to grow up so to speak.

My MCHN said the average age is 2.5 years, so 2 is quite young to me. But you can always give it a go and if it doesn't work, wait a few months. Good luck! (I do wonder if life will be easier without nappies!)

Wait until she asks to use the toilet. Then there's no 'training' needed.

The earliest of mine trained at nearly 3, the other 3 kids all trained after 3 or after 4 (DD1).

They weren't interested however, so I didn't try to make them interested - and changing nappies has never bothered me that much, however I can't stand mopping up pee and poo from the floors LOL

I've only got 1 in nappies now, and I must say its nice compared to when I had 3 in nappies!

5 days in we have had fantastic success, today he had kindy (daycare) and only had 1 accident. He has now figured out how to get on the toilet using the step by himself and will take himself to the potty if he needs to go. I definitely support wait till you are sure they are ready

Mumma T, that is great news How did you know he was ready? What signs did he give you? I just can't picture dd on the toilet doing a pooh!

Sorry i dont get in so much these days.

He was telling me when he needed to go if he was in bed. It was happening almost every day. Most of the time he had already done it but one or two times it was before hand.
    He is actually sitting on the potty waiting for a poo at the moment lol. We still get 1-2 accidents a day but i can certainly live with that because i know he is improving.

I was just at a friends and her 2.5 year old has a potty out. Dd went and sat down on it within 5 minutes od being there! (It was clean) and she continued to do it on and off. I told her 'poohs' when she sat and then she started saying it too
    Definitely getting a potty this week.

I was just talking to a friend from mothers group (well her husband actually) and they toilet trained their daughter over three days following this 'program' thing they have. He emailed it to me, it's pretty strict but apparently has a high success rate, although she says it's for over 22month olds.
    I'm tempted to try it soon, al though it does night training as well and says not to give drinks before bed or overnight. We are still BFing at least once overnight (there was no mention of breastfeeding overnight of course) so not sure how that would work. Might need to night wean first although I have been saying I it'll do that for about a year and I am still too lazy.

Anyway, have you got a potty yet?
    If you want me to send you the toilet training system they used, just pm me. Might be worth a read. It worked for them and their daughter barely speaks and only just started waking ie is a bit delayed in everything, but he said she has pretty much got it with only a few accidents here and there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast