Thread: Did I ruin my new nappies?

Default Did I ruin my new nappies?

Hi there,

I'm new to everything baby. I just bought some cushie tushies at the baby expo. I went into my automatic washing regime which is to include fabric softener in each load so I put this in with the nappies as well. I then read on the cushie instructions that I should use fabric softener.

Can anyone tell me if I have ruined the nappies and if there is anything I should do to rectify the problem if I have created one?

Thanks

I doubt they're ruined,they just wont be as absorbent because you've added oil to them. You need to do a strip wash or two (hot wash with no detergent) and that should clear them out.

Quote Originally Posted by meow View Post
    I doubt they're ruined,they just wont be as absorbent because you've added oil to them. You need to do a strip wash or two (hot wash with no detergent) and that should clear them out.
    :yeahthat:

A couple of strip washes should do the trick. They normally take a couple of washes before they become fully absorbant anyway

:yeahthat:
    TBH I think they'll be fine. New fabric comes with a film of sorts on it anyway.
    In the first strip wash just put a couple of drops (only a tiny bit not a couple of squirts) of dishwashing liquid in and use hot water and make sure they're rinsed a couple of times.
    You'll get the hang of them real quick babe.

I think I'll go against the grain here. They are new naps, so I wouldn't be washing them in hot water.
    I have never used CT, do they have PUL in their makeup? If so, I def wouldn't strip wash them.

Nappies take 8-10 washed to get them to full absorbancy, and you usually do afew pre-washes before wear anyway.
    I'd be inclined to do afew regular pre-washes and then use the nap BEFORE trying a strip wash.

Thanks for your quick responses, glad to hear I haven't ruined them.

Miss Cinders - I'm not sure what PUL is. It has a fluffy cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa B View Post
    Thanks for your quick responses, glad to hear I haven't ruined them.

Miss Cinders - I'm not sure what PUL is. It has a fluffy cover.
    hey Lisa Just looked at the site and yep they have PUL [Polyurethane laminate] in their makeup.
    Sometimes strip washing a nappy that contains PUL can damage the PUL making the nappy wick.
    I would personally contact CT and ask their advice. If you don't and you damage the nappy, your warranty could be void.
    OR check out the CT site and see if you can find any washing instructions/tips.

Hey hun,

I have a whole set of CT's, if you jump on their website, under the about us section then the blog section it tells you step by step washing instructions and they also tell you how to do a strip wash. Don't wash them above 40 degrees as it will damage the PUL and don't use any stain removers, napisan, fabric softeners etc on them.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Babyluv View Post
    Hey hun,

I have a whole set of CT's, if you jump on their website, under the about us section then the blog section it tells you step by step washing instructions and they also tell you how to do a strip wash. Don't wash them above 40 degrees as it will damage the PUL and don't use any stain removers, napisan, fabric softeners etc on them.
    Hope this helps
    oh crap... i strip washed mine yesterday on 95*

i strip wash with cold water and it works =] just takes a few more rinses