Thread: Eucalyptus, lavender and tea-tree oil

Default Eucalyptus, lavender and tea-tree oil

Hello! Which is the best of these oils to use when washing nappies and generally keeping other stuff fresh? I currently use a few drops of Eucalyptus oil when washing face clothes, sheets etc but I'm not too keen on the smell. Would lavender be as effective as a natural sanitiser?

Thanks!

I don't think it is hun, pretty sure Eucalyptus kills about 99% of germs whereas lavender just smells nice? Could be wrong! I fill up a 2 litre bottle of water, then add a capful of euc oil and one of lavender oil and use that as a fabric softener - so you could use both together? Smells pretty nice!

Yes I wondered about the antibacterial properties of the lavender. Or I could put Eucalyptus in the wash and lavender with water in the rinse/fabric softener dispenser I guess. I've done that with rose and other oils in the past actually.

I don't know what they are like in relation to each other, but lavender is actually antibacterial and antiseptic. It has been used to treat infections for years

lavender teatree and eucalyptus are on a par for antibac/antifungal etc. Use what you like....I do I use whatever takes my fancy that day.

Oh cool - see told ya I was wrong! Good to know!

I just might have to stock up on all three then!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    I don't think it is hun, pretty sure Eucalyptus kills about 99% of germs whereas lavender just smells nice? Could be wrong! I fill up a 2 litre bottle of water, then add a capful of euc oil and one of lavender oil and use that as a fabric softener - so you could use both together? Smells pretty nice!
    How much of the mixture do you then use each time Tan? ALso, do you have a front loader or a top loader? After seeing a friend's front loader spewing literally buckets and buckets of soap all over the house I'm very wary about what I use in mine now ;-)

at the spewing soap - doesn't sound good!! I have a 14 year old top loader hun, I fill up just under half of the middle thingy with the water mix and sometimes splash a bit around in the actual thing with the clothes!! Seems to work ok and I use the same mix with a cup of vinegar to wash out the machine as well. I think vinegar would make stuff softer as well, but I don't bother as this seems to work ok for now! I only use Ecostore or Bosistos Euc powder in the machine because of the kids eczema too.