Thread: Help! My MCNs are still showing poo stains after washing them!

Red face Help! My MCNs are still showing poo stains after washing them!

Hi,

Lately I've been washing my MCNs on a rinse cycle first with just warm water and no detergent then I do my regular wash cycle with half detergent as advised. I use the Planet Ark sensitive wash powder for all DD's MCNs and clothes. I make sure dirty nappies are sitting no longer than 24hrs before washing them.
    Recently I've noticed the nappies aren't coming out very clean looking and still have poo stains on them!? I know sun is a great natural bleacher but we've had a week of rain and no chance to hang them up outside which sucks as I know this would help!
    I've been having to put them through the wash again sometimes which isn't very 'eco friendly' and I don't like doing that. It's mainly like my microfibre and bamboo inserts that are stained....

Should I be doing something else to help prevent this? Any ideas on a better wash detergent for MCNs? Or should I be putting more in? Should I be making sure ALL the poo is off the nappies before they even have a rinse cycle?

TIA

The only thing I have found to help is sun.... some of the others will have better ideas than me I'm sure hon!!

I have had stained ones come good once I get them in the sun, so it shouldn't be permanent...

i dont know if im any help at all but i get as much poop of nappy as i can and make sure i change bub straight after poop. Then i soak in water till washing them, i have found that my last lot of nappies look a bit greyer in color due to no sun too. i to do a rinse before washing and wash on maximum amount of water i actually use less powder than half more like 1/4 or less. but what u say sounds fine might just be sun needed. do u soak in water or not. some ppl say they dont need soaking but i find it helps

Yep I soak them in water in a bucket in the laundry.... well, the REALLY poopy one's anyway!!!

DD does like 4-5 poo's a day but only small ones.... lol so i'm constantly changing her... but she'll do like one or two huge one's in the day too and I make sure I put them in a bucket of water!

Sun sun sun

Thats it.

And I probably wouldn't be soaking them in water either - if the maker doesn't recommend doing it - its probably for good reason

I hardly ever have a nappy that has been pooed in come out of the wash stain free. It's only after a sunning that it disappears!

I think that is one of the biggest things to get used to. The detergents and napisan ads have us thinking that things need to come out of the wash stain free!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    Sun sun sun

Thats it.

And I probably wouldn't be soaking them in water either - if the maker doesn't recommend doing it - its probably for good reason
    good point myn says i can soak in water

Yup, I find sometimes things look poo stained but then after the next wash/sunning they come good again. I'm not bothered by a bit of staining on a clean nappy though, (given it's likely just to get pooed on again, LOL!) so I haven't experimented much. I have used vinegar in the wash on the odd occasion, but this is supposed to wear out the elastic, so I don't do it often. (Only when we've had HEAPS of rain and they haven't been out in the sun for ages. They tend to get a bit stinky when dried inside all the time too, so I use a couple of drops of eucalyptus at the same time.)

Sun sun sun

Thats it.

Well HURRY UP sun!!!!! Lol....i hate rain!

I have a few different brands of MCN i've been putting in water...woops hope I haven't ruined them then not sure which brand recommend its ok or not... hmm might stop doing that then.

look on their websites to find their recommendations

Some of them have the directions on their tags too.

look on their websites to find their recommendations

Some of them have the directions on their tags too.

**ppffft!** I'm too lazy to do that Mel.... haha!!!! Nah its cool.... I'll just stop putting them in the bucket of water... instead just a bit of a squirt with the LS and back into the dry pail will do from now on! And SUN! (when it decides to appear that is)