Thread: I want to use cloth wipes

Default I want to use cloth wipes

Sorry, most of my posts at the moment seem to be about chemical free whatnot...it's my current fad.

I want to use cloth wipes. I know this sounds idiotic but how do I clean them - the pooey ones especially?

Do I rinse them and/or soak them in a bucket? In what - just plain water, Napisan? Can I chuck them in the normal wash with all my other clothes?

Any particular type of cloth wipe better than others? How many do I need with a 2 year old and a 3 month old in nappies?

Many thanks for your help xo.

I just rinse with hot water and wash with the nappies and towels - I don't soak 'cause I wash then with MCNs. I use 2 or 3 per poo so I guess it depends on how many poos a day and how often you wash as to how many to get. I use a cut up flannelette nappies, but I understand that other fabrics are better (i'm just too lazy to go to Spotlight to get it, and I had the flannelette nappies not being used)

Are you using cloth nappies? If so, just chuck them in the bucket together. If not, then maybe you can still do what we do with cloth nappies, rinse the poo off and then put them in a bucket with no water or detergent and wash them all together at the end of the day. You don't need to use Nappysan as hanging them in the sun will fade out any stains.

I squirt the poop off down the toilet with the Little Squirt and then wash in with my nappies.. lol

I'm not sure how many I have - not enough!! I really need to go to spotlight and get some more.

No I don't use cloth nappies, only sposies...we did flirt with the idea of cloth when DS first came along but DH wussed out. We may come back to it.

Arimeh...what's a Little Squirt?

What fabric should I use?

I use white washers, i know that they are the bum ones as i only have white for wipes. I use cloth nappies so i just put them all in a bucket and soak them. I use some lavender or something like that in the hot water then just put the bucket, water and all in the washing machine.

i would have about 30... i have a 2yr old that still uses sleep nappies and a baby...but like i said i use cloth so i am washing more often then you so i guess id get 40??? Sounds like a lot now i have written it LOL... Maybe get 20 and see how long they last for??? I would soak then for a few days til you get enough then wash them by themselves, maybe...I dont like poo in my normal loads (bf baby poo is ok but not those brown lumpy things the 2yr olds do LOL)

I keep dry on the change table and just put some warm water on them as i need them... You use loads less then the shop brought ones.... Washers are a good size too

I am a non chemical freak and have been a near chemical free house for 8 months now (not sure we can meantion brand names) and I am in love and i think we are all better for it in my little house

Good luck

Thanks for posting this I was actually wanting to know the same things

Any other ideas on the best fabric to use?

I think the most popular materials for wipes are cotton fleece or velour or a soft terry. A lot of WHAMs make them, some with two different sides like velour and flannelette together, one side for grippiness (is that even a word?) and another for a soft final wipe.

I wasn't sure if I'd use cloth wipes so to start off with I cut up some terry and flanny flats and started using those. Once I knew I would use them I bought some to check out the different materials and sizes. Now I've just ordered some cotton velour and flannelette from an online store to make some myself, some with double sided velour and some flanny/velour combination.

yep we use sherpa wipes ( FJ wipes) and alot of WAHM wipes flannelette one side and terry on the other side and NO i have no idea how many i have....

Do you wet them before wiping? (sorry - I'm still using disposable wipes & just wonder how the cloth wipes work...)

I use those really thin cotton face washer type things they have in packs of ten in the shops for babies. I reckon I have about 20-30 of them, but wash reasonably often because I use cloth nappies.

I have them in a stack, dry on my change table. I also have a pump pack (resued an old hand wash bottle) of water on the table. I just squirt a few squirts onto the wipe and use as normal. You can also put a bit of lavender or camomile tea as a weak solution into the pump pack if you like that sort of thing.

I wouldn't wash in with my other clothes - a bit too dirty for my liking. But it would take you forever to get a load's worth to put on a special load? Maybe wash with your towels?

I use face washers (terry toweling ones)
    I just chuck them in the dry nappy bucket and wash with the nappies. I don't soak or rinse.
    Normally I will use 1 per nappy change, occasionally 2.
    I have some luxury ones with velour on one side