Thread: MCNs and grey water recycling

Default MCNs and grey water recycling

Hi,
    I am new to cloth and have purchased a few pocket nappies. I am also thinking about reusing the grey water on my garden. I'm just wondering about a couple of things:

firstly: are there any health issues as you are effectively pumping diluted faecal matter onto your garden? (not all that concerened as lots of animals including my own dog poop into gardens all the time)

secondly: i have a top loader. does anybody have any top-loader detergent suggestions that would be fine for reuse as grey water on the garden?

thanks heaps,
    Sasa

cant answer definitely re using recycled pooey water...am guessing if you put the wash water down the sink and just let the rinse water go on the garden itd be ok!
    I have a top loader and we use Green Care laundry liquid (there is also a front loader version now so make sure u get the right one), I buy the big packs from Big W cause is cheaper. we use all the wash water (no kids yet so our clothes arent exactly really dirty lol) on the garden, mainly on our plum tree and a couple of other trees and none have died from it!

I like to put it this way - Compost and fertiliser are made from faeces, Have you ever smelt blood and bone fertiliser? It is disgusting!! Many remote farmers pump their septic tanks onto their produce (trust me, they did it on the vineyards at our old house!) and we eat that. Personally i find that many people are only disgusted by putting their own faecal matter on the garden because they know where it came from. But they will happily use fertiliser and commercial compost.

I have used Earth's Choice (it has optical brighteners so not recommended) and am about to switch to Green Care. Anything that is fine for grey water will be marked to say that it is.

good point alioops! and we let the cats and dogs poop in the garden dont we! duh!!

I certainly wouldn't be putting the wash water on the garden, even if it was just ornamental. Maybe the rinse water would be OK. Do you rinse the nappies before you wash (so by the time you get to the rinse cycle you already have gone through 2 loads of water)?

Anything that has been used in fertiliser has gone through a lot of treatment. It could have been subject to high temperatures or UV light to kill off the bugs.

Your council may have some guidelines, or the state health department. The things to keep in mind are possible pollution of ground water and health risks to people that come in contact with the soil. I am an engineer and am currently working on putting the sewer on to villages that currently are on septic tanks only which leak and have a local lake with very high faecal counts.

Yes cats and dogs poo in the garden - and give us toxoplasmosis if we come into contact with it!

Alioops, you do have a point. However, compost and things like blood and bone are properly composted faeces. It is actually illegal to use raw faeces on any type of soil because of the diseases that could spread.
    I used to use green care, too, when i had a top loader. i didn't know they have a front loader version now. that's great. will definitely be buying that from now on.
    yes, i do do a cold rinse/prewash first. but i would hate having to disconnect and reconnect the grey water hose thing all the time.
    call me lazy, but if things get too complicated, they don't tend to ge done at my house.
    Thanks everyone.
    Sasa