Thread: nappy PUL layer gone weird - is this nappy dead?

Default nappy PUL layer gone weird - is this nappy dead?

I have several nearly-new bumgenius 3.0 nappies that I've now used about 4 or 5 times each. I noticed when putting the wash away that the outer layer, I think it's PUL, on one of them has gone weird.

It's all kind of stuck to itself, and a layer of plasticy stuff, almost like fine gladwrap, has come apart from the rest of it on the inside. It's like the PUL has separated into the coloured layer and this plasticy layer, and each layer has all stuck to itself.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this and have you any idea at all what might have caused it? I'm now worried that all of these expensive nappies will go like this. I doubt this one is really useable any more because of the way it's all stuck up - I'm scared to tug it unstuck in case I break something that spoils the waterproofing.

Hope my description makes sense to someone. I've never seen anything like this.

what temp are you washing on??? sounds almost like its melted

Melted is a good description.

I washed it at 40 degrees, which should be well within the range, I believe. It dried yesterday on the line in the sun on a cool day. None of the other nappies in that load have gone strange like that at all. Surely drying in the sun (and there wasn't *that* much sun) wouldn't do this?

nope not the sun, not sure why theyve dont that, did you buy them new?

Yes they are new. I bought them on ebay, shipped from the UK, though - which might make it hard to claim on a warranty I have contacted the ebay seller and will see whether and what she replies with...

Further research suggests to me that the PUL has delaminated, so the plastic part has become unbonded from the fabric. I have no idea whatsoever why this would happen. Does anyone know anything about this?

Yeah it sounds like it has delaminated.

YOu would still be covered by warranty, so see what the ebay seller says. Did they give you a receipt of purchase or anything? If they refuse to do anything - contact Nurture Nappies - they are the Australian distributor for Bumg's and will be able to honour the warranty for you.

HTH.