Thread: Powder amounts and canesten Q.

Default Powder amounts and canesten Q.

It occurred to me the other day that the Eco brands of washing powder already say to use less.

Do you still use 1/4 the amount? One brand says use 40ml, 1/4 of that is almost nothing. I don't really feel it's hygienic to use so little.

Also, where do you buy canesten wash and how do you use it? I want to thoroughly wash my son's nappies before I use them on my baby girl.

Sent from my Desire HD

I used to use a wee bit more but you aren't really meant to - if you are worried you could use a splash of Eucalyptus oil in the rinse - it smells ace, and is a great disinfectant as well - double bonus. As for Canestan wash I am pretty sure I have seen it at Coles? but I might be wrong sorry.

I'm using flats.

I'm not really answering your question but I just soak them thoroughly in cold water and again through the machine. Then I wash with a wee bit of Omo on a hot wash, cold rinse. PUL covers I put in with a warm load of mine or his or both our clothes. Jim only uses about 6 or 7 nappies a day at the moment so it's just a Low setting for the water.

I figure the hot wash and sunlight help with hygiene. Oh and when I make his cloth wipes up, I use up all those Johnson & Johnson samples with a tiny drop of tea tree oil, in hot water, then squeeze out and into a lunch box for the day.

Sorry I don't know about MCN's I have a couple, but they take up a lot of space in my flat. I have just got a few hemp multifits for night time when he gets older.

You're not supposed to wet pail MCN's but I am only doing it for short periods (a few hours) as I do at least two small loads of washing a day. I live in a one bedroom unit and that works for me.

I have oodles of Bamboo flats and just a few MCN's.

I am probably going to switch to using bicarb to wash my nappies instead of Omo.

I used to use about a 1/4 scoop of Euca powder and a lid full of canestin in the fabric softener dispenser. Canestin is available from our Coles now but it never used to be. I saw it on the shelf once because it was in a catalogue so kept buying it so they'd keep it in stock I have bought it from BigW and chemist warehouse too.

Do you do a pre rinse before you do the proper wash? You might find that is an easier way to do the nappies instead of wet pailing.

Thanks ladies, I found canesten. I realise I haven't been washing my nappies very well for the nearly 3 years I've had them. I just followed the instructions, but it never seemed good enough especially because I've never had a proper clothes line and usually use my dryer.

No wonder my son ended up with severe nappy rash.

Sent from my Desire HD