Thread: removing stains

Default removing stains

We have only been using cloth for a week or so but I'm washing everyday to every 2nd day and dry pailing, DH forgot to put a liner in a nappy and the boys have exploded beyond the liners a few times too.
    Im using a nappy safe laundry liquid, no napisan and no fabric softeners but when i wash the nappies where the poo has been on the nappy its still poo coloured.
    How do i remove this? I dont want poo coloured nappies

Hanging in the sun is supposed to work. I haven't tried it though.

a hot wash can help, and when the sun comes out again let them get some UV exposure

the sun works i havent bothered using liners as thenewborn poo was just going straight through it. after i wash there is still some poo marks on the boosters and nappies but the sun gets them out

Sun! I haven't a single stain on any DS nappies thanks to the sun

thanks, well we have gail force winds, hail and even snow forcasted so i dont think ill get any sun

I use Sard. It comes in a purple container. Works wonders!

Been wondering about you!! And how have the boys been??

no sun around here either! Even getting sunlight through a window can help, when the sun finally returns!

Quote Originally Posted by charlotte91 View Post
    I use Sard. It comes in a purple container. Works wonders!

Been wondering about you!! And how have the boys been??
    i think sard is one of those no no ones for nappies

I good natural stain remover is ecostore... doesn't have any of the bad enzymes in it that ruin fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by helle View Post
    i think sard is one of those no no ones for nappies
    i think it might be ok for flats??

In the winter if you find a window that gets the best light and put the clothes airer right in the window. Because the uv isn't as harsh as it is in the summer it may take longer for them to sun out ie full day in winter but in summer only a few hours!
    I also used a coathanger on the curtain rail and pegged the nappies on it. Also if you do a pre rinse it helps reduce a bit
    I had 2 in nappies so I know how full on it can get when it's slow to dry.
    Sard isn't all that bad, just unnecessary. It's good for getting barrier cream out if you get that on a nappy though.
    Last edited by ~Raven~; June 8th, 2011 at 04:57 PM.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i worked on the principle of Prevention, by using the Little Squirt toilet attachment, the best thing i ever bought (for the baby stage), as opposed to the principle of Cure (using the sun, to remove stains after the wash).

My baby pooped like 12 times a day! and if i hadn't had such a simple, easy way of dealing with poop, i think i might have gone round the twist.

(our washing routine was:
    one nappy washload per day
    one tablespoon of either Ecostore or Aware Sensitive in the wash drawer
    one tablespoon of either " or Aware Sensitive in the pre-wash drawer
    Used pre-wash, longest wash cycle, and long rinse cycle
    using hot water).

The stains came out so easily (because the poop was rinsed off immediately, using the LS) that i could happily show the insides of her nappies, to anyone who was interested in her MCN, without being worried about how they looked. (i only showed if people wanted to see).

Without a simple way of dealing with the poo, i doubt i would have stayed using MCN on my bub. I dreaded using the LS, but after one day using it, i found it simple and user friendly.

Other people find other ways of dealing with the poo, and that works for them, it's good to read what everyone else does, try out whatever sounds good to you, and discover which one suits you/your family/your house/the resources available to you/your baby's pooping style e.g people whose baby only poops once a week, might have a different priority to me, whose baby pooped 12x per day.

each of mine poop about that amount too so i know the feeling thats rougly 24 poops a day for me lol, i might have to see about getting one of those little squirter things. my washing mashine is pretty basic all i can do is wash or rinse so i might try giving them an extra rinse at the end or maybe the start which would be best?

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i think you really need it at both ends, for different reasons.

pre-wash cycle is important (to get dirt out)

long rinse gets any residue out (so keeps the fabrics doing what they're meant to do, e.g be absorbent, or be waterproof).

Washing machines get a really good work out, when you use MCN. (i have no idea if you used MCN with your other kids). My washing machine packed up, when bilby was two months old, had to buy a new one in a hurry (front loader, low water use, low energy use, with extended warranty). Made life simpler with a good washing machine, you do so much washing with a bub in the house. Let alone twins! Let alone with a family of 7.

When i was "nesting" for the baby, buying a washing machine wasn't on my list at all, but once she arrived, what was "essential", changed very quickly. i had to work out how to cut corners elsewhere, when the machine decided to "die". Timing, NOT.

washing machines are a big ticket item to buy, at least End of Year Financial Sales will be on soon, and i'm going to investigate "scratch n dent", "wholesale" type whitegood shops, when i have to replace this one - it's just about to go out of warranty soon, so planning for the next one - sigh. wish they lasted a bit longer than they do.

it would be good to use the Family Supplement to buy it, but my ex doesn't file tax returns, so we won't get the FS.

What kind of front loader did you buy GiGi? i hate mine. it's an Ariston so a good brand but a load takes an hour and 20mins, it doesn't spin properly and they end up using more energy then they save IMO. i have found using my MCNs impossible with my FL. i am now going back to a top loader - 35minute cycle here i come!!
    if you are looking at a front loader for MCNs make sure that the loads don't take too long and it has an extra spin cycle but if i were you stear clear unless your prepared to spend alot of money.

thanks for the advice re stains too guys, i have the same issue and not much sun here.

I went the other way Crystalwings I had a front loader that was quick but did a lousy job. I had to do a pre rinse manually ie let the machine fill and start to agitate, then set it to drain and then re-start the cycle. Major PIA but I think you may be able to get top loaders now that you can program in a prerinse. Mine was pretty old!
    I got my baby bonus and went and bought a Bosch front loader. I can forgive it's longer cycle because it does a fabulous job and it is so much more gentler without that agitator thingy in the middle. I rarely needed to do a strip wash too. It does the best strip wash (or I should sad it DID the best strip wash as we are out of nappies now).

mrsS - i do a rinse first then put in on wash & rinse.