Thread: Smelly MCNs - getting the smell out

clare076 Guest

Default Smelly MCNs - getting the smell out

OK so if you are not supposed to soak the MCN, how do you get rid of the acidic urine smell??? I am keeping them in a sealed bucket until I wash, but even after washing them they still smell. I have also tried soaking them in just plain water but no difference. I have noticed it to be worse if put through the dryer in comparison to the line, but it is currently peeing it down with rain here (and has been for 3 days) I also only wash every 2-3 days as we are on rain water only and have to be careful (ironic I know considering it's raining so hard) There is no way I can just add them to the normal wash, all the clothes end up stinking too.

Any ideas???

I find mine are a bit stinky during rainy weather coz I dry them on the clotheshorse indoors, or in the dryer. They're usually ok tho after a good dose of sunshine with the next sunny wash.

Have you had them long? You can do a strip wash with bicarb soda and vinegar, but it's not recommended to do a lot coz it ruins elastic etc. But that freshens them up nicely.

Other than that, I've found mine smell a bit if I use too much washing powder. Funnily enough, the less powder you use, the cleaner the nappies are. hehe.

clare076 Guest

Hi Liz
    I have only had them for about 2 weeks I think. I don't use them all the time, mainly only at night and if Shelby is going to be home with her dad all day. (he still doesn't get the hang of terry flats after 16 months) I don't use much powder, but do use a bit because I wash her flats in the same wash. I was wondering if you could do a soak of water and a tad of vineger? But I would want to do it with every nappy all the time. Maybe I should just stop smelling them.

Quote Originally Posted by clare076 View Post
    Maybe I should just stop smelling them.
    hehe -that's the way!

Altho, I find once there is a definite stink to the nappies, they reek as soon as he wets them... that's when I know it's time to do a strip wash. But after only 2 weeks I wouldn't think the smell should have penetrated that deeply.

Do you do an extra rinse cycle at the end to make sure all the washing powder is well and truly rinsed out? I find that helps.

I must admit that when we started cloth (we did sposies for the first couple of months) that I thought the cloth had a distinct smell. Perhaps I've just gotten used to it now? hehe.

Hehe, just saw your ticker.

I think hemp is more smelly than bamboo...and if teething is going on then wee is acidic. Though if bamboo isn't dried properly then it reeeeks when it's used next (or so I find).

Using the dryer makes mcn hold onto their smells...I guess as there's no fresh air circulating?

ps: hope I didn't offend you in that other thread...

clare076 Guest

Chocolatecatty, Oh gosh definately no offence taken hun.

I didn't think about the teething, Shelby is currently cutting a tooth so maybe that is causing a bit more of an acidic smell. I have asked DP to put me up a make shift line for me undercover to see if a bit of breeze helps.

Liz, I am a bit confused with the extra rinse to get rid of the washing powder? Could residual powder cause the urine smell to stick? I usually wash them in a hot rinse first (no powder) then a normal wash with half strength powder. I have never had a problem with the flat cloth smelling as they have always been soaked.

Clare i stuck mine outside for a couple of hour in between the rain coming down and now i can't smell poo on mine. When drying them inside i could smell it still a little.

clare076 Guest

Yeah Michelle, I think the fresh breeze probably helps with the smell, time will tell, when and if Craig ever gets around to doing the line for me. I will probably only end up doing it myself.

Maybe do a cold wash? I was always told that hot water sets a stain and if that's true, then maybe it sets a smell too?

BBH mentions the use of Dettol...'you can use it in your rinse cycle by half filling the fabric softener dispenser with it and letting your machine wash as normal. Use it only when you feel your nappies need a freshen up'.
    or
    'you can do a hot wash with NO detergent, but 1/2 cup of bicarb soda, then 1/4 cup of vinegar to your rinse cycle, then keep rinsing until the water is no longer sudsy'.

Hm, good luck!