Thread: Stains and Smells

Default Stains and Smells

Well yesterday Charlie had a bit of a runny bum. It made his nappies bl00dy stink! I have washed them 3 times but it still smells. Put them out in the sun yesterday and today but the stains are still there. How do i get rid of the stains and smell?

Vinegar for the smells for sure, put it in your fabric softener thingo & it works wonders.

mum2three Guest

agree, vinegar is great. perhaps they need a good soak first? then a good wash. (I am a top loader advocate, front loaders are just too gentle!, bless them and their sensitivity, but we are dealing with kids' clothes here! time to be serious.)
    dry them in the sun.
    if all else fails, move to Queensland, our sun will sort things out.

LOL

The stains will eventually sun out. It may take a few washes.
    What do you wash in Tegan? Did you use a hot cycle?

I use dettol rinse with a hot soak then drain the machine off and do a normal wash. It gets rid if the stinkies!

I'd do either a plain hot wash, or a strip wash with bicarb & vinegar. Perhaps you've used too much washing powder? This makes nappies REEK. Stains do eventually sun out.. I don't worry too much about stains, but the smell I do try to get out.

Mum2three - LOL at the toploader. I nearly cried when we were living at mums.. she has a toploader.. and the amount of lint that came off the nappies coz it was so rough on them. It pretty much wrecked some of the nappies.. and I could never get them clean! So i sometimes had to put them through that rough washing twice! I'm much happier now I'm back with my frontloader

LOL - I'm the same. Can't be stuffed waiting for the door to unlock. At least it unlocks tho.. before I got it I was under the impression you just couldn't interrupt the load at all! Glad I can tho if I absolutely have to

Have you tried good ol Napisan and soaking in really hot water??

I have recently bought a frontloader and it is the best washing machine ive ever had, washes the clothes 1000 times better than my toploader. So agree with it being annoying not being able to shove something else in the load I do it every time.

I was under the impression you can't use napisan on MCN?

I wash in cold water only because out hot water isn't connected to our washing machine, it's connected to the dishwasher.

I don't think napisan is harmful to MCN, just not necessary, plus it's just another soap to build up on the nappy which affects absorbency & makes it smell. I'd be inclined to get all the soap buildup on the nappy out.. that usually fixes the smell for me.

A strip wash would probably still work with cold water. I think it was 1/2 cup of bicarb soda in the wash, and 1/4 cup vinegar in the rinse.. and then keep rinsing until there's no more suds. (can't remember exact amounts.. I'm sure the recipe is here somewhere. Actually I think the BabyBeehinds site has it too). Don't do too many strip washes tho, it can deteriorate the elastic over time.. and make sure there's no PUL in the wash either, coz vinegar will wreck them too.