Thread: Stinky nappies

Default Stinky nappies

Hi all,

I've been using cloth nappies full time for about 9 months now, so my nappies are getting lots of use. I mostly have Happy Heiny and Bumgenius pockets (so microfibre inserts with some sort of PUL outer I think) but also have a few Baby Beehinds Magicalls and Itti Bittis (I think they're bamboo).

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know how to get them smelling nice again? They all have a bit of residual wee smell to them, which isn't very pleasant. I've tried doing a strip wash with a bit of dishwashing detergent; this has worked in the past but doesn't seem to have made much difference this time. I wash in hot water (50 degrees as my system doesn't go any hotter) every 2 days and usually line dry in the sun.

Also, does anyone know how to get the microfibre inserts nice and fluffy again?

TIA

Hi gypsy,

I use about half a cup of bicarb soda in my wash instead of laundry powder when my nappies get stinky - then rinse until the rinse water stops bubbling. But I should also say that stinky nappies are often related to using too much washing powder or not rinsing it out properly, maybe try cutting back on the amount you use. I use about 1/4 of the recommended dose and that works just fine

I'm not real sure about the microfible inserts as I don't use the very often, but I would say that about 10 mins or so in the dryer would probably get them fluffy again.

HTH!

OnePossum Guest

I've also got BG and HH, the only thing that has worked for my is my w.machine that will do a 95 degree wash (front loader) - I strip wash the inserts only (don't do the PUL about 60 as it will wreck them) on this every 2months or thereabout and it fixes them - no bicarb etc. Sorry this doesn't help, but I also wash a friends inserts as her machine is like yours. 10mins in the dryer will get them fluffy but I don't bother as it doens't seem to assist performance - and there not against bubs bum anyway.
    I know there is a commercial laundry in Brisbane who will now wash MCNs, maybe there is one in your area of find a friend who has a machine that will do a hotter wash.... Alternatively you could do what my mum does to tea towels and thats put them on the stove top in a large saucepan and give them a nice hot bath!!!! Probably not recommended by the manufacturer though!!!