Thread: Washing detergent

Question Washing detergent

I'm sure this has been spoken about a billion times..sorry..

But which detergent do you use for MCNs?

(I bought some Purity???)

I use Amolin detergent.... but dont use softener (which my brand is Purity!!)

LizzysMum Guest

I use any brand on special.

I have used, OMO, Spree, Bio zet, Duo, Earth Choice. I have never had any problems. Have been using MCN since 2004.

Just make sure you use 1/2 to 1/3 of the recommended amount and I used to use a little vinegar in the rinse it gets all the soap residue out. Some manufacturers say not to use vinegar on PUL though.

Oh and I hardly ever used warm or hot, mostly cold water. The sun is the best disinfectant

HTH,

I use purity as I find it is the best for getting stains out and it is great if you are using grey water also. I use half a cap full in the poo bucket for wet pailing and half to full cap for the load (incl DD clothes)

Kimbaz, how long you been using amolin for? That's the one I'm thinking of using, so hard to know which one!

I been using Amolin on MCN for last 4 weeks now...

But have used it on Chelsea's clothes from day 1. Only cos i know she doesnt react to it, so stick to the brand i trust!

Thanks girls.

Yeh, I think I will rotate between Amolin and Purity (whichever is on special!) Seems the best for the naps and bubs skin to me.

I'm finding (like someone else mentioned in another thread) that the nappies seems to smell really strange when they are wet. I only use a tiny amount of detergent and often put them through an extra rinse at the end, so I'm now trying to suss that one out (Maybe it is just a cloth nappy thing?). Or maybe it is the disposable liners...hmmm.. anyway it's got me stumped at the moment.

Thanks again for your advice

Hi Lee - yes I've noticed that some smell too, I think it is mainly my hemp that get the funny smell but I find time our on the line helps

Thanks Sarah! You know I have stopped using my flushable liners and the smell seems much better. I couldn't get any microfleece anywhere in Perth so I just got polarfleece and am now using it so hopefully that will help. There is a slight smell but not like before.

I use Euca powder I did use Amolin for a while also.

I use the the Planet Ark Aware sensitive powder. It is fantastic, you only use about 1/2 a tablespoon in the wash so the box lasts for ages. I also use it on all our clothes and have had no problem with rash etc.

I make my own... I have noticed bubs bum doesn't get as red... I think it was the enzymes in the powder I was using previously that may have irritated her skin.

Tanya

Tanya, what do you make it out of?
    How clever..

I started off with using Purity. Then I switched to Earth Choice wool wash. I figure wool wash is more gentle than normal detergent. I've had no problem with it and I only use a small amount. It's cost effective and it doesn't pollute our world.

Celsie. xoxox

p.s. - I dry pail and I find that my MCN have a "odour" too. Is there anything you can use???

I use Soap Nuts with a few drops of essential oil. So far so good, though I have resorted to spray when I've had a stain...the only reason I get a stain is when I forget to wash, so it shouldn't be a problem for non-lazy people.

Celsie, I find any smell goes away after a bit of time outside? My line's undercover though, so I have the luxury of doing that, I just leave it for a day or so. Perhaps the essential oil in the wash helps too. And not leaving nappies too long before washing...that makes them stink. Maybe vinegar could help strip any residue that's causing a smell?

Nelle - how long have you been using the soap nuts? I really want to try them. How much and how many do you get?!? How long will they last... I need details! LOL

Celsie. xoxox

I just started off with a sample pack, from the soapinanutshell Australian site, but I've just ordered some more from The Wee Wuns. So, I haven't been using them for ages, maybe for about 15 - 20 washes? The websites have heaps of info, just google them.

I'd be happy to wash without any detergent at all though really, I reckon the agitation from the washing machine is effective enough - I just have the soap nuts as a mild soap to help break down any grease. They seem to work well enough, though if dh came home covered in grease or paint or something, I think I'd be searching the back of the cupboard for something stronger, or soaking.
    I'm pretty satisfied with it for everyday use though.

Get a sample pack, use it with essential oil or some other nice smell (for that psychological 'ooh that's clean' feeling when you pull it out of the wash! I use eucalyptus or peppermint) and see what you think!

Thanks for that Nelle. I'm looking for an alternative to the "Grey Water" detergents out there. They don't seem to get our clothes really clean. So, I'm off to order a sample and see how we go!

Celsie. xoxox