Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #5

Well I pulled finger and got sewing today! Made a VB fitted. It's a bit rough cos I'm way out of practice and it was also the first time I attempted to sew blind elastic. That is a little loose so my attempt at sewing a small is more like a medium I have a small here that I got from the weewuns as reference and I determined to have another crack at it. Would be at it now but my back was going to give out.
    I suppose I could unpick it but I'd rather not and chalk it down to a learning curve, afterall it will still work. When I made my first honeyboy I made the tabs too long and it didn't fit C for about a year but he wears it now!

On a positive note I tried out knotting the cotton instead of a total rethread when I changed to a maxilock swirls and I'm please to announce that it didn't jam my machine. Sorry I ever doubted you Mel and Maz

Glad that knotting the threads worked for you Sammi!! Much quicker, hey?!!

For sure Mel! I felt like changing it again just because

Oh and a tip to get the best look from your maxiswirls......make your stitch length 2 or even 1 so that the stitches are closer together and you get a denser look of the swirls...just play with the stitch length dial till you get a look you like!

I finished the second one after tea so thought I'd show off lol
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...php?photo=9452

Don't look too close at the blue one The Cherry one is heaps better!

yum...I have some gorgeous heart snaps just arrived that will finiish off the cherry one just nicely! You'll have to bring it to visit!

hmmm they look great Sammi fabo job honey!!!!

heart shaped snaps you say Mel...growllllllll maz might have to invest in some of those before valentines day

now question time...thinking about making prefolds out of unbrushed cotton fleece....do you guys think this will work??? just 2 layers

What is unbrushed cotton fleece like? Having a PG brain moment. i say it would as a lot of them are made from muslin.

no Sammi its that fabric I bought from SL when you were with me...remember the pink and the yellow stuff???

Oh that stuff! I think it could.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME...SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN...ETC...ETC!!!!

Traded my sewing machine in on a new one Too buggered to even rip the box open ATM but I can see it there tempting me.

Probably won't be seeing me for a while...hehehehee!

Ohh Sam. Congratulations. I am go jealous!

Sammy love the cherry print! I finally got onto the nappy making last night too (it's about time, I think I had all my smalls made by now with Austin!). I am using the very baby pattern for my fitteds too, and when I did my first couple (back when I used it to make super thirsty bamboo night nappies for the boy) I found that I wasn't stretching the elastic enough as I sewed following the instructions' method. With my pockets I measure, cut and pin the elastic first and liked that method for making sure it's even and that the legs were the same size. Last night I tried a combo - I measured half the lengtth I needed to cover, cut, secured and stretched as I sewed. You end up using less than half this way (because of the slight excess at either end since you need something under the foot to get you started, and something to hang onto until the end which you chop off after). I found it gave the perfect amount of stretch. I also like to do a straight stitch along the areas where there are elastic about 15mm in from the overlocked edge, as the very last step before snaps. This helps the elastic sit a little better and the nappy look more "finished". Try not to catch the elastic when doing this though, and stretch as you sew.

Pics in my blog of last night's newborn VB and the Saturday night PUL pocket. I didn't photograph my first pocket (seabreeze colour) because I stuffed up my elastic start and end positions and it came out medium.

Where do you guys get maxilock swirls? Is that cotton or woolly nylon, and which threads do you use it in? I have used white woolly nylong on the bottom loopers. I have massive $15 cones of that though so probably should just use that since I have so much, but I do love a coloured edge.

Hi jgal thanks for the elastic tips! Will try it out next time I drag the sewing out.
    Maxilock swirls is cotton. I got it from theweewuns as well as from a co-op or 2. I can make some enquiries with the lovely ladies that did the co-ops as they may have more...or they might see this post

Your blog link isn't working for me either so I can't see your handiwork!

Woops - I have fixed my links now so hopefully they work. I will update my blog with more nappy pics in the next day or so as I have been suddenly addicted to sewing them! Not that I'm complaining - I was starting to worry that I would have no nappies made before the bub arives as I just didn't get motivated in time. Looks like the napopy bug has finally hit me though

I am really enjoying working with prints - I made all PUL pockets last time, then discovered wool covers and fitteds when the boy was about 8m old. We switched to fitteds at around 7 months but it was just a coupel of baby eco's for night times and I was disappointed as they were meant tyo be "one size" but he grew out of them by 8 months. Then I found the very baby pattern and made some night naps for him with that and loved them - so easy to make! I thought they'd be harder than the pockets but they aren't really, especially when you don't need to turn and topstitch.

Ooooh nice blog You are a clever lass!

I like the very baby pattern and am getting better with my overlocking on the outside. My first nappy making attempt was with the VB AIO pattern before I got an overlocker and then Honeyboy so I don't mind the turn and topstitch. When I got my overlocker I was too scared to have my overlocking visible so it took me ages to get game enough to try the fitted very baby pattern out

Noice work jgal. you girls are giving me the itch to start sewing nappies...not that I need anymore lol.

i snapped the needle loop on my embroidery machine tonight so Im very ****ed at myself. Just as I got one cool embroidery done to!

Grr dame tmeper of mine!

Oh Mazzeroo what did you do that for?!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast