Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cover Knitting General Discussion.

Default Cover Knitting General Discussion.

This thread is to discuss tips and techniques involved with knitting your own woolen covers for cloth nappies.

Yay first post from a total NOVICE lol
    Hope some others join me!

Crafty Desires: Longies Pattern

Just thought I would add this in here.

Hey PP!!

I think you might be adding stitches by not fully removing the old stitch when you take it off. How tight do you have the wool? Is it difficult to get the needle into the stitch to knit it? If so then you need to loosen it up.
    Maybe practice by knitting some squares or a scarf until you are keeping it square, and then start doing things like ribbing and increasing and decreasing stitches IYKWIM.

I am currently knitting some longies for a fellow BB member! We are doing swapsies she is sewing some nappies and I am knitting longies. I am using the Audrey Doodlepants pattern but when I get around to making my own longies I will adapt the pattern and give it feet and make enough changes for it to be my own pattern. I am thinking about selling them too if MIL is willing to help me!

knittinginstructions
    this is the one i am attempting!!

ALi - i think this is what i am doing (was just talking to nessa about it). i think i am splitting a stitch into 2 as it is very tight! will try to do it looser... will it affect the overall product if the stitching is looser? i think i need to get them all even in a row ... not some twisted as i think this is also what i am doing wrong

WOMN - Purple 12ply 100% wool! ..... for Longies

(Whats on my needles lol)
    Last edited by PinkPalace; July 31st, 2008 at 04:15 PM.

Woohoo!

Great to see you lot pop in here

I've got 2 longies on the go. One is a large pair of Shannons but I'm waiting for a 30cm 3.5 circ needle so I can finish it.
    I also am doing it in the crawler size and I've done the elastic casing waistband which is a HUGE achievement. I'm doing that with el cheapo patons carnival wool from BigW (I hear it works pretty good though) because when I'm finished I will use it for my first dip dying attempt.

River that is my inspiration

Just so you know Sam, the one on the blog is different to the one from Nappycino. It's the one I knit from (be damned with anonymity people can know who 'River' is ). Basically those side increases are just moved 10 stitches in on the front instead....they fit the legs in so much nicer there, I only changed it originally because Katanya had front increases and I was respecting her business (even though they were slightly different in orientation), but she no longer knits for BaaBum, so I feel okay about publishing this one.

Why are you using 3.5mm needles hun? And super yay for the elastic casing! you ROCK! oh, and the carnival wool is great for dip dyeing, it takes the dye so well. Good hardy wool too. If you want to try a cheap good aussie wool, you should check out Bendigo woolen mills - $11 for a 200g skein great value.

Sammi, I use that wool and it rather good, feels nice and soft and easy to knit.

PP that is the same as the pattern I am using! I use safety pins as markers so i dont loose the markers.

River I think I will try those ones next! I nearly used your old username then

oh ali... i havent even got to markers lol... i have done the first 2 lines of the kkp of the waist band it is look slike crap so have unravelled it both times and started again!

I do the first line after cast off and it is really messy... it isnt a smooth loop over with the knitting underneath the needle.. it has bumps and knots all over the loop part and then the knitting underneath...

what do you think i am doing wrong?

Coolies Shannon Is that pattern then the same as the cargos you knitted up for Caleb (if you can remember back that far?) It has the leg increases further around the front. They rock BTW! He's grown a bit too tall for the legs now but they fit perfectly on the rise.

Sorry I didn't explain myself too well did I! The 3.5mm needles are for the Trelikse I dyed with the NC girls. Pic is on my blog. It is supposed to be 8ply but seems to be a bit thinner in spots so I thought I'd knit it up with slightly smaller needles to be on the safe side. I had to pull it apart anyway cos the cat demolished it. Silly me didn't order 2x 30mm's and I don't want to risk faffing about with changing needles over etc cos I drop stitches and the like so I'd rather just invest the extra $11 and get another pair.

ETA PP what cast on are you using? I prefer the long tail cast on (on knittinghelp) as it seems to be a bit stretcher and forgiving.

PP, I think you may be doing the ribbing wrong if you are getting bumps where you are not changing over from K to P and ViceVersa. are you going under the needles when you change which side the wool is on? are you knitting from the front of the stitch at all times? Knit goes through from left to right, purl goes right to left, with the needle you are kitting from on the left at all times. I might take some pics to show you if it doesnt make sense. Let me know if you need to see it.

yep take some picks for me.
    Fj has been talking me through - not sure what i am doign wrong. under the stitchupwards front to back with KNIT - yarn to back of needles
    under the stitch downwards back to front with PURL - yarn pulled through between the needles to the front... and still big balls of crapponitto!!

PP try going to knittinghelp dot com and have a look at the tutorial videos. I found they are awesome when I get stuck on a new type of stitch. Oh and when you are looking at them there are two options for most - we knit the normal way not the continental way!!

I am soooo impatient, I get bored so quickly! I once took forever knitting a pair, was up to the crotch when I realised that they were way too small for Riv and Si hadn't been thought of yet! So I frogged them and cos I wanted the wool for something else (who knows what, it's not like I've ever made anything else).

I'm not sure I've ever finished any knitted item ever!

Nelle, the trick is to start with a small and simple project and then get onto the more difficult stuff once you get a bit more confident. I have LOTS of scarves

Hey PP I have and idea of what your problem could be!
    When you are doing the rib and you knit two, then bring the yarn over the front to do the purl two, are you bringing the yarn over the top of the needle or bringing it through the middle of them?

When I was beginning I was bringing it over the top of the needles and making a total hash out of it. You need to bring the yarn to the front between the needles to do the purl then back between the needles to do the knit etc.

Nelle I was like that too. Chucked it away for months, got right into sewing nappies, then as I'm finding it hard to sit at the sewing machine with my sore back ATM I've taken up knitting again cos I can do it while sitting on the couch

Thanks Sam, That's what I was trying to say earlier! you just articulated it better.

i am attempting again now with all your advice and watching that video on knittinghelp over and over lol

btw - lincraft has 33% off yarn!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast