Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cover Knitting General Discussion.

I heard about the lincraft sale this on the radio morning. Might sneak off tomorrow and leave the lads with DH Can't remember if it's his Sat on though. Would probably negate any savings on wool with all the stuff they end up talking me into buying. I'm a bit of a softie sometimes.

Thanks Ali I wasn't sure if I had articulated it right myself but if it makes sense to someone else then I must have

hi girls
    I am sewing (stocking stitch - gave up on beig fancy after the 200th time of recasting from scratch!)
    ANd i am up to the 5th row.
    FJ suggested i but in a eyelot row now for the drawstring..... but she is offline

can anyone talk me thhrough it?
    I have 48 cast off stitches

At least you have started PP...But I just sucked up to MIL and she is comming tommorrow afternoon to teach me to knit.

Oh Sam - what a great idea for a thread.

I am about half way through a pair of Shannon's longies from the NC website (Yep - I know River - you directed me there months ago and I am only half way through them - luckily no great rush!) I am using a wool alpaca blend and they are turning out really scrummy. Will have to try the all improved pattern next.

Sam - be careful of the Lincraft sale - I just got back and if DH finds out it will end in tears!

PP - easiest way would be (hoping my maths is correct here) K3 [k2together, yarn over, K3]x9. Basically knitting tow together then putting the yarn over the needle means that you don't drop any stitches (the yarn over recreates the stitch that you just knitted together) and means that there is a series of eyelets to threat a drawstring through. HTH
    Last edited by Muppity; August 1st, 2008 at 03:54 PM.

I went to the Lincraft sale but was a bit underwhelmed! I did get some nice pink merino so I'll make a hat from that. They didn't have any of the patons carnival 100%. They had lots of other patons but they had acrylic in them. There was their own brand wool too but it seemed a bit rough for my likings.
    I did get some other wool called Shepherd Colour 4 Me in a pink verigated. They were low on stock so there wasn't enough to do a full set of longies in Calebs size besides in pink or yellow.

PP the eyelet row works by knitting two stitches together (k2tog) then using the yarn to a new stitch between them by taking the yarn over the needle (yo) and then knitting the next two together. The yarn over makes a loose hole that then becomes the eyelets. You knit the next row as normal.

The colour 4 me is quite good sam, nice colours! My first soaker (a fern and faery soaker) was in that yarn. A tad scratchy, but still nice. I love their colours, I'm always tempted to buy more (but have waaaaaaaaaay too much wool to get it for just becauses ).

And yes, that is the same pattern as the cargoes .

Oh a bit scratchy you say Bit of a bugger then!

If anyone has been to spotlight they have all the cleckheaton country wool on sale. I got some 12 ply for $2.99 a ball (usually $4.99). I imagine the 8ply would be a tad cheaper. It's nice and soft

Nearly finished the trelikse longies too. Getting a bit of knitting RSI so resting my fingers a bit. I find knitting with the 30cm circs is a bit funny on my fingers. I have no problem with the 40's so maybe it's the angle I have to hold the 30's on or something. Damn boy and his extra long lanky legs

Well i finally figured it out and have almos finished my soaker (gave up on the longies lol)... might find a fancy way to put cuffs on the legs though.
    Trying oto upload a progress pic but it says 'successful' but then the pic isnt there my gallery

ANy thoughts?

Resize it to a smaller resolution! If it's too big then it won't display.

Not too scratchy Sam, still a nice yarn. I bought some of that 12ply and dyed in a rainbow gradient for a swap I'm doing on Woolaholics, it turned out fabbo. The 8ply is the same price, you just get less yardage per 50g is all .

PP, yay for the almost finished soaker. That's fabulous.

I just posted this in the cloth nappy General discussion.. but as the granny knitter belong here lol...

here it is yayayay!! thanks Raven btw for the resizing of the pic tip!

I have been able to finish part 2 of my wool soaker.
    I think i did quite well for my first EVER attmept of knitting (lucky mum was here today to teach me to cast off lol). Those of you who know how hard it was for me to learn how to do a stupid k2p1!!! rarararararar!!! will appreciate that i actualy finally finished.
    I want to sew on some little frills around the leg holes now as my next experiement !

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...php?photo=8574

Girls quickie bargain! SL have got the cleckheaton country 12 ply on clearance for 50 cents a ball! I went in to get another ball as I wasn't sure if I had enough to do Calebs longies. So I got another 5 balls and spent $3 all up.

I don't imagine it will be around for long at all for that price so if you can get in tomorrow and see it should be worthwhile. I had to fight the nannas to get a look in the bargain bin but they weren't after the plain white stuff so they were helping me. I'll use it for a dying experiment

WOW PP you've got it worked out now! The soaker looks great! Well done

wow raven that will be the cheapest longies ever lol!!

Well i am all done.... yipppeeeee
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...php?photo=8614

Amazing how long and involved it is to do though... no wonder people charge $30-$50 each hehe.

Yep PP there is a looot of work involved. Added to that the cost of the wool (and time and cost for the dye if applicable) and it's totally understandable!

does anyone know of a free shorties pattern??

I would love to knit some for summer!! I have done a soaker but just cant figure out the leg ribbing

Beatrix. i will be able to try to help you like you did me with the leg ribbing if you like
    FJ actually showed me how with the knittinghelp website!

Will check if you are in MSN later when i have 1/2 hr to sit down.. (after lunch when DD is asleep)

Hey granny's LOL, thought Ishould post in here. Knittinghelp.com is a great site. I am learning as I go but have found sharing tips from one learner to another is great as the learner showing the learner is using learner terms that are easier to understand.
    Ness, on NC Shannon has a free longies pattern, you could just do that but stop at the leg length you would prefer for shorts.

Also on knitting help there is a video about adding stitches just as you would to add the ribbing to the legs. Its easy enough once you know how.

I have MSN on m ost of the time & hppy to offer my learner advise LOL

Girls take Fj up on that!! lol She was VERY patient with me and my knitting lol
    I just realised on closer inspection on e leg cuff is 1 row longer than the other... no wonder it was bugging me that it looked lopsided... theres my OCD again!! arhhhh lol

No more knitting for me for a little while. Broke both my size 5 and 6 needles! rah!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast