Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cover Knitting General Discussion.

Ness if you have a look at Rivers (Shannon) blog link in her post near the top of this thread it has her pattern on there

I've finished http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...php?photo=8634

Caleb didn't want to wear them and pulled them off so no modelling pic.

great longies Raven! yayay
    Do you know of any longies patterns or shorties that are not IN THE ROUND?
    I only have a pair of 3.5,mm needles left (until i break them too) but want to try again with more

ALSO HELP -- how do i make the cast on stretchy at the waist ribbing. the k2p1 is stretchy but it is tight to get over DD's bum and nappy to start

thats why i do k2p2, also you may find you need to loosen off a bit as you knit, it may be your tension making it tight then it needs to be kwim

the ribbing is fine and stretchy i find it is that 1 line where i casted on if that makes sense

Try the long tail cast on. It's heaps stretchier and I find it a lot easier too! It's on knittinghelp.

yep that is the one i use raven. looks like that is just the way it is then. this time might have to make the waist band a little longer!

try casting on a little looser or even on bigger needles then go back to smaller as you begin your ribbing.

mmm ok that sounds good FJ... now i need to buy bigger needles hehe

p.s how are you feeling today *hugs*

I've still got a long wait until I meet bubs, but was wondering if it would be worth my trying to start to knit some longies or soakers now.

Can I start now or should I wait?

Am planning on using prefolds initially - would this make a difference in sizing?

My knitting skills are pretty limited but I'm determined to learn!!

OMG Tarkine!!! Congrats, or had you only just gotten your when I left the DC thread?

The earlier you start the more relaxed about the knitting you can be. I tend to be quite slow because my hands lock up when I have done it too long or it is too cold

I am not sure about the sizing, not having had a NB in cloth before (I jumped on the band wagon a bit late ) so I reckon your best bet would be to ask the ladies in the cloth nappy discussion, if you can keep up

6 months does go quick, and knitting will pass the time quickly for you hun. Good Luck!

No harm in starting now, Follow the sizing on the patterns & they are bound to fit at some stage.
    Im making stuff for my unborn. I am also making tuf for my DD in unisex/boy colours so Mr Doodle will get wear of the also as they will share the same month of birth so season/size wise should be similar.

Im not sure if prefolds & soakers/longies will be your best option. You may find (from what I have heard/read, haven't actually done a NB in cloth yet) that you will want some good fitting covers for your prefolds. Nice snug fits around the legs to help prevent leaks. But jump into the cloth thread for more on that side of MCNing

Get started now tarkine and by the time bub needs some woolies you'll be a pro It's taken me about a year of trying, turfing it away and trying again to get to the stage where I'm happy with what I'm managing to knit!
    Not sure how soakers will work with prefolds. I think they are more suited to covers you can "undo" for ease of removal, though I could be wrong as I haven't used them in combination

There are a few soaker patterns that work like a wrap cover so they would the style to go for over prefolds I reckon. I think Little turtle knits have a pattern for one if you google them. But definitely go for a wrap style cover over a prefold otherwise I would imagine you risk getting newborn pooh everywhere when trying to remove a normal style soaker.

Raven - just looked at your longies and I :woot: them!
    What type of wool was used to get that effect?

I actually know diddle about kniting but am thinking I will give it a try. Do you guys think the knittinghelp.com plus a pattern, needles and some wool will be enough for me to figure it out or should I try and find somewhere to get lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by Salsa View Post

I actually know diddle about kniting but am thinking I will give it a try. Do you guys think the knittinghelp.com plus a pattern, needles and some wool will be enough for me to figure it out or should I try and find somewhere to get lessons?
    That plus a little help from us here on line & there is no need for lessons. I am self teaching myself. There is heaps of free help on the net

Salsa unless you have a relative or friend that can show you I wouldn't worry too much about lessons!
    Knitting stuff is cheap ATM due to it being the end of season and wool and needles are on clearance. One of us in here can help you out if you get stuck with something but the knittinghelp site is awesome to get you started.

Thanks for your commets on the longies! The wool I knitted them with was hand dyed in various colours. Mostly turquoise and blue with a bit of orange and red and a few other colours that were made when they ran together. It was my first dying lesson I'm happy with the way it turned out but will do a few things differently next time because some of the colour didn't take which is why there are lighter parts.

ok if i wanted to make a double waist band on my shorties i have already finished.
    What would be the best way to do this?
    cast back on to one side and k2p2 the same length and blanket stitch on - repeat on the other side?

Or cast on 50 (this is the width of my shorties waist) k2p1 and then attach on the inside of the wasit somehow?

Dont have circular needles so cant do it in the round and i doubt i will be able to fit 100 stitches on my needles to do all at once??

suggestions?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast