Thread: liners????

Default liners????

Hi ladies,
    I was just wondering what you have made your liners from? I have made some from microfleece, but they don't seem to work that well - it seems that they cause leaking. I even tested one under the tap and the water seemed to pool on it rather than flow through it - and I tried both fleecy side up and fleecy side down.
    I was thinking of trying to make some liners from flanelette, but then wondered if that would stay too wet.
    I also have some bamboo fleece and some bamboo velour fabric left from when I made my breast pads, or is there anything else that you can recommend?
    thanks.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

where did you buy your microfleece from?

is there ANY possibility that you bought POLAR fleece by mistake? or because salesperson didn't know the difference themselves?

As soon as you understand what fabrics are made from, what their purpose is, all of this becomes clear.

ABSORBENT FABRICS - made from natural fibres
    cotton
    linen
    flannelette
    bamboo
    hemp
    sherpa
    microfibre (the one exception that is synthetic)

WATER REPELLANT FABRICS - made from synthetic fibres (except the wool option)
    PUL (covers, outers of all in ones)
    lanolised wool (covers, outers of pockets, all in ones)
    microfleece (inner of all in one, inner of pockets, liners)
    suedecloth (inner of all in ones, inner of pockets, liners)
    polar fleece double layer (covers, outer of pockets, outer of all in ones)

the one time i used FLANNELETTE LINERS, was when my child developed a skin reaction to synthetics, and could ONLY tolerate natural fibres. So we did use flannelette liners, but that meant constant vigilance on my part and i had to change her INSTANTLY that she wet. THis is a more high maintenance system than most people would do. I only did it cos my child developed a skin irriation to microfleece and suedecloth next to her skin.

The most common method is to use microfleece or suedecloth as stay dry liners.

If you are the least bit unsure about recognising microfleece in real life, like at Spotlight, i would take the safe route, buy online from MCN supply sites such as nappies covered, fairy fabrics, tiny toosh, bubba earth etc - buy half a metre of microfleece, cut it up into liners (e.g 30 x 10cm for a newborn size), no hemming required, it won't fray in the wash. Choose the look of the microfleece bearing in mind, you will be peering into the back of the nappy, whilst on child, looking to see if they have pooped or not yet. So busy patterns, esp with similar colours to poop on them, can end up being a visual hindrance. I chose mid range plainer types, to make it easier for myself, to view what i needed to view (!!! LOL).

ANother reason why some nappy fabrics can stop doing what they are MEANT to do, is powder buildup - e.g too much washing powder is being used, or too strong a detergent, fabric conditioner being used. In which case, you'll need to do a strip wash, if you think that could be a possibility.

So i don't know your situation, but i've given you two possibilities of solutions. It could alwyas be something else too, but oh well, there are two ideas.

Thanks Gigi!
    I don't use fabric softner anyway, and always do an extra rinse, but I have just done a strip wash - liners are just hanging up now so we'll see how that goes.
    I bought my microfleece from spotlight. How will I know if it is polar fleece and not microfleece? can you tell by looking? I must admit, I don't know the difference!

At Spotlight their fleece is colour coded (for next time). There is a stand at the end of the fleece table with the different colour labels & each roll has the different coloured tag on the end. That way you will know for sure next time
    Do you have your reciept? It might tall you on there what your liners are?