Thread: Shrunken woollie :-(

Default Shrunken woollie :-(

DH accidentally shrunk my favourite llamajama wool soaker today. He put it through the washing machine on the rinse cycle. It's shrunk by about an inch and a half on the waist and it's all felted if I soak it in lukewarm water and gently stretch it do you think i can rescue it, or do you think it's permanently shrunk? Poor DH he was just trying to help and now he feels bad

Excuse my sucky spelling, I'm on my iPhone

You've got nothing to lose by trying.

True, I didn't think of it like that!

Excuse my sucky spelling, I'm on my iPhone

If its felted then I don't like your chances but good luck anyway.

There is a way to fix it - I got this from Shannon Lush and it works a treat:
    Put 2 tablespoons of fullers earth (I got some off eBay- it was quite cheap) and put it into a bucket of lukewarm water, swish it about for a few minutes then leave for 15 minutes and rinse in the same temperature water (it is often the rapid change of temp than shrinks wool) Lay it flat on a towel in the shade to dry and as it dries you stretch it gently, make sure you don't stretch them too far. Don't force them too much, go back every 1/2 hour or so and stretch it out a bit more. The fullers earth relaxes all the wool fibers so that you can effectively pull them apart again.