Thread: Diverticulitis

Default Diverticulitis

Has anyone else been blessed with diverticulitis? I have had two attacks in the last 3 months.

The first was so bad that I almost went to hospital. I was in so much pain and basically didn't leave the bed for 2 weeks. Was on strong ABs/painkillers. The 2nd type I started getting pains and ran straight to the GP for the ABs as it was before the easter long weekend. That stopped most of it but I still couldn't do anything for a few days.

I will be going to get a colonoscopy to see what is happening with it all. I had a colonoscopy about 6yrs ago and they said the start of the pockets forming. So I assume its a lot worse now.

What I wanted to know is had anyone else had any success in trying anything to stop the attacks? Increasing gut health, stopping gluten, taking IBS support from Inner Health, going the routue of natural therapies etc ie kinesiology maybe?

Not sure really - just after some guidance

Thanks

Default Re: Diverticulitis

My DH suffers it, and is very much into avoid, rather than treat..

He has only had a mild attack in the last 8 months cause he realised before it got too bad.

I am working at moment, but I will reply tonight (if I get back onto bb) with some things he does and avoids.

DH has diverticulitis as well. He almost died from his first bout and has since had his lower intestine removed.

the main things are:
    Keep hydrated
    Have fibre
    Eat clean
    Dont get constipated.
    I make DH a bircher muesli for breakfast most days, he finds if he does not have it he feels awful. It is made with yoghurt, plus he has extra yoghurt when he serves it up.
    He avoids breads with seeds in them, even though he does not avoid tomato seeds (maybe because he loves tomatoes)

He takes lactulose if he is feeling constipated.

yes I have found if I get constipated that it can make it worse. I am taking metamucil tablets daily to try and help as well

Thanks for your response

Ooh, forgot. During an attack I think you are meant to go low fibre.

ah ok. I read somewhere bland food as well. Will add it to my list