1234 ...

thread: Healing with GAPS

Nov 2007
    Earth

Physiological is physical, psychological is mental

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2011
    Adelaide

Haha I wiki-ed the word and everything before I wrote that and miss spelt it! OMG bahahahah jokes on me!

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

Nov 2007
    Earth

It's alright, I always hafta triple check those words, I mix 'em up all the time!

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2011
    Adelaide

Well I'm 36wks pregnant with number 3, so I'll jist blame pregnant brain 3 times and baby brain twice!

---------
    Leah and Dan
    Lucy 5
    Minnie 2
    Pippi due 29 sept

YOU are what YOU eat!

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    USA

I'm just glad it wasn't MY foggy brain!

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    USA

All is going really well here. I keep a blog diary of E's progress and I thought I'd share the latest update

Weeks 5 & 6
    Still a few wakeful nights at first but through week 6 E has been sleeping all night and getting up rested around 7am- perfect!

After two days of soft formed poos since taking the digestive enzymes E's poos have gone back to sticky peanut butter consistency. But they are dark, do not have undigested food and he's doing them himself!! Poos once or twice every day or second day.

So we've stuck with no dairy for now. Thinking of trying some ghee again soon to ease back in.

Loads of energy!! Happy, happy. Very happy and loves to be out again. Still a bit addicted to his shows since he watched so much while unwell. He's also had a HUGE appetite so he's eating all day and the habit is there to eat in front of the computer. just noticing by the end of week 6 that this is triggering aggressive behaviour like it used to. Working on weaning back off it.

We started adding one soft boiled egg to 1 full cup of soup and he's still eating about 6 cups a day. Each cup has 1 teaspoon of SK juice and he has 5000IU of vitD a day.

All weight has been regained and he's a solid 17kgs. Looking healthy and his tummy has stopped blowing up like a balloon when he eats.

At the end of week 6 we moved to stage three so each cup of soup has the egg, 1 teaspoon of avocado and 1 teaspoon of actual SK (not the juice). All seems well so far except his nappies are eye burning smelly again so it must be triggering more die off of toxins.

Played around with starting to give fish oil. We have a cinnamon & banana flavour whihc is high in DHA but seems to have GAPS illegals so we switched to NN ProOmega which is lemon flavoured and high in EPA. That's going down without too much trouble and we're up to the daily dose of 2.5mls. Still putting FCLO on with his night nappy. Tried to put it in his mouth for two days but it was a disaster so we've ordered the oil, not gel, to syringe it in.

Took E to the supermarket for the first time in a LONG time and he spied apples. Oh the pure delight on his face! His eyes were googling out of his head. He could hardly believe it. He was grinning from ear to ear and nabbed one. I was not going through that fight so I caved and he had an apple. The day after one of his poos was formed so the fibre went well and he hasn't reacted in a negative way.

He is talking so much more! Still lots of echolalia but he repeats everything we say, rather than just script from TV shows and he uses those sentences to talk about what he's doing all the time. So wonderful! He's dancing again. Loves to play with balls still. Loves to dig in dirt and sand. He just plays in the sandpit at the playground- digs sand to fill up and then empty a dump truck. Or makes lines and shapes in the sand. Or lines up trucks. Still lots of lining toys up. Mostly puzzle pieces or cars. While away last weekend he actually did some dramatic play with a teddy!! He said "Time for your nappy teddy" and laid him on the change mat, then picked him up and said "There you are. All done!". Amazing!

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2008
    summer street

Wow great progress!

Just wanted check the vitamin d level with you. I thought children were supposed To have around 500iui rather than 5000iui?

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

Thanks for posting. It's great to see how it's making a difference.

My Dh has just been told to take diestive enzymes... I really must buy this book.

How are you finding the change in cooking and diet? Is it manageable? How is the rest of the family handling it?

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    USA

I know right?! You read it right- 5000IU!! He had a blood test a few months ago and his vitD levels were so low they were almost off the charts and we were advised to go hardcore with 5000IU a day. I've been nervous and dubious so have been doing about 3000IU a few times a week but I chatted about it to the naturopath in week 4 and he said to go for it too so I am and we'll retest after 3 months.

Vitamin D deficiency is common in autistic children (and all GAPS people, given the poor digestive system) and boosting vitD has been found to often has positive effects. The cod liver oil is the GAPS recommended vitD supplement but E needs some extra help.

Here's our 2 days on digestive enzymes... didn't go so well! They are not "required" on GAPS as you're healing the gut naturally but they are recommended for some people who need the help in the start.

Wednesday
    Well, tried adding 1/2 a capsule of digestive enzymes in the morning (as per ND recommendation to hopefully assist E's gut adjust to eating new food, and resolve the constipation) and it went terribly. Perhaps he hated the taste. He kept asking for soup all morning but would flip out and not eat it. His head banging went out of control and he has awful bruises on his forehead.

In the afternoon he seemed to have calmed down and ate loads of soup to make up for eating so little in the morning. He ended up having 8 eggs today and his tummy was so huge! Hopefully he was just full and not bloated. The digestive enzymes claim to correct bloating but perhaps they gave it to him?

Thursday
    Tried digestive enzymes again and had another shocker of a morning. Such a shame because we went to our first OT appointment in a few weeks this morning and he had started the day so happy before having anything to eat. He was pretty unhappy to be at OT but they're so fabulous and caring they managed to make him feel comfortable and gave me some great advice on how to keep doing floortime even when he's unwell and not playing.

But he has been playing! The last few days he has been initiating throwing the ball and has been happy to chase it around and use a fair bit of energy. Still not keen to go out much though.
    The cooking would be easier if E fed himself as most of my day is taken up with feeding him or his baby brother! My H and I mostly snack on easy meals like baked chicken legs & salad or omlettes!

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    USA

I never get time to srite much but I've done a new blog post... need to add more I'm sure but here it is for now Things are going great!!! I can't believe we are healing our son. It makes my heart sing.

Two months
    We're in week 10 now, but I'm going to start counting in months, marking day 12 (the first day we started E actually eating GAPS food) as day one. Which makes us almost at the 2 month mark.

Probably the biggest bit of news is that E was officially diagnosed as autistic last week. After 7 months on the waiting list we got in to the autism center and we now have it in black and white. On paper. Officially. I'm glad to have that done for the access to resources side of things, but I have long accepted it as fact anyway so not much really changes around here. I had kind of hoped he might not meet the criteria as he's been doing so great on GAPS but I guess 2 months isn't far along enough yet.

As for doing so great... it's great!! He started developmental preschool a few weeks ago and he's loving it. He says "Go to school" and now he evens waves goodbye to me and says "See you" then runs off to play. This is HUGE. He had a few teary goodbye days but he wasn't anxious. The old E would still be crying to say goodbye and never in a million years would he WAVE. And SAY "See you". Huge.

He's doing something new pretty much every day. Too much to remember! He wore his backpack on his back today. Just the fact that he has started to carry it himself was amazing enough. He's doing more and more independence skills. Between GAPS, preschool and floortime therapy he is gaining a real sense of his own power and abilities. It's beautiful to see his confidence and desire to try new things. So, some new things he can do (though not all of them all the time yet):
    - Go down the slide at the park by himself
    - Drink from a cup
    - Learning to use a spoon
    - Wash hands
    - Wave goodbye and say "see you"
    - Open doors
    - Closes doors behind him
    - Parrots most of what we say
    - Creates some sentences of him own- particularly in changing the end such as he said "I love you E" for about a week then he changed it to "I love you Mummy".
    - Less anxiety about food. He still wont eat anything other than his soup and apple but he will sit at the table with his own plate of dinner and not get upset by it being in front of him. He'll sit on my lap and watch me eat my food. He'll watch me eat and say "Want chicken Mummy?" and not get upset if I say "Do you want chicken E?". Today he even fed me some of my food. He was touching it and using my spoon!
    - Tries out new experiences with much less anxiety. He went in the ball pit at OT and was a little freaked at first but recovered really well and got more and more adventurous.
    - Let me talk to him about going to the toilet and stood on the step stool and looked at the toilet. He would normally start screaming if he was within a few metres of the toilet and I dared to mention it.
    - Starting to play with toys more. he likes to dig outside and play with the duplo in his bedroom. He still lines up a lot of the duplo pieces but sometimes he will do other things such as "bruming" a car along.

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

That's wonderful progress. I'd love to follow your blog if you'd like to share the link. I now have a few GApS FB feeds I'm following.

I still haven't bought the book. I think the whole idea of it intimidates me. I want to implement some of the ideas, I just dont know if I could do it full on. Part of it is timing. We're going to KL soon, then to Uk, so dont want to start before then. We want to TTC when we get home. I dont want to start Intro GApS then. Anyway, still thinking.

How have you found it personally, not just your son?

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    USA

My blog isn't very informative- these are the entries. Just something to help me remember milestones. I'm hoping when I get more time and sleep I'll be able to write something retrospectively that is more helpful to others.

What do you follow on FB? I follow, and really like:
    Gut and Psychology Syndrome | GAPS Diet
    CHEESESLAVE
    thehealthyhomeeconomist
    Keeper of the Home (gets a little off track with homeschooling and such but she has great GAPS info on her blog)

The GAPShelp yahoo group is also essential.

I'm not finding the diet bad at all. I'm getting in a better groove with sourcing food and cooking. I'm enjoying finding treasures at our local farmers market. I bought local raw honey and some pork back fat from pastured, organic pigs this week. Rendered the fat and now have a big jar of organic, pastured rendered pork fat in my fridge. Which I feel pride and happiness over whenever I see it (okay, I'm wierd! ). Coming from a vegetarian that'spretty huge though. It helps that this diet focuses on pastured animals and using AL of the animal. I appreciate no waste. When I roast a chicken for example I:
    - Collect the fat & gelatin from the bottom of the pan and store it in a jar in the fridge. It separates when cool. I put the gelatin into soup and use the fat for cooking vegetables.
    - We eat whatever, then I strip the bones of ALL the meat and skin (plus the chickens I buy come with the neck, heart and liver so I keep those meats). I then refry the skin and scraps of meat with scrambled eggs or something later.
    - I use the bones to make bone broth.

I was a MAJOR carb addict. I would happily have toast for every meal and snack a day. Otherwise though I was eating pasta, chips, tortillas, corn chips, baked potatoes... Then there's the sugar. I ate chocolate EVERY day. And not just a little bit. Plus ice cream, muffins, cupcakes... whatever. So anyway, this diet is a huge change even with the fact that we were vegetarian too. And I'm not struggling like I thought I would. I still dream of sweets every day. My pining for toast is subsiding. But I want to walk into every coffee shop I see and buy a chocolate chip cookie! But I don't. Breastfeeding helps me keep my resolve. I'm working on cutting back the fruit. It's not good to eat that much fructose and I'm managing to cut it down now I'm adjusting. I make these amazing brownies and have been having one for afternoon tea every day and it's SUCH a treat! They taste "normal" to me.

Honestly, if I knew the effect my gut flora would have on my children I wish so much I had done this before having them. Read the book. Even if you're not sold on the doing the diet it's an awesome read about nutrition and there are great ideas you can do you make your cooking healthier, like cooking in lard and not oil. Personally I would suggest reading the book, practicing the diet while away in small ways (trying to eat a grain free breakfast, sugar free snacks etc) then go onto full GAPS (forget the intro diet) for TTC. Or if that seems too much then perhaps go onto the after GAPS diet, Nourishing Traditions. If you can improve your gut flora to pass on to your children they'll thank you for it.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

I am so amazed Meow. this is such an amazing thread. good on Mr E! and good on you guys, this is a HUGE program and what amazing results!

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

Thanks meow. I am really concerned about the effect of gut health on children. I have ADD and suspect there's Aspergers in the family so that increases the genetic risk of autism or similar. Assuming we ever get a live, healthy child, I want them to have the best chance they can. So I will read more. As it is I'm developing strong views about ABs and babies. I need to be as healthy as possible to avoid the need for any ABs.

A thing I've noticed is even when eating GF bread products, I get so sluggish and blah. Years ago I did a low-carb diet and felt quite good on it. I might get there slowly, but we will get there. It's so hard to break the thought patterns like lard is bad, vegetable oil is good but I'm working on it.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    USA

The case she presents in the book is excellent. There a few things in the book I don't agree with her on but generally it's well researched and she knows her stuff. Natural food is best

Thanks Cassius! I'm so proud of what we are doing. Healing my son is such a joy.

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2007
    Sydney

Hey Meow, just popping in to say I really appreciate you sharing your family's GAPS journey with us too.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    USA

Thanks! I hope we're able to inspire some others

I feel so freaking fantastic!!! 2 months in and I'm finally kicking the sugar habit!! I'm not binging on fruit and the cycle of having one piece of fruit then 10 is stopped. My body isn't calling out for it as much. I've started having sauerkraut every meal and I think the probiotic boost is helping fight the candida. I also feel very happy!! Weee!!! LOVE GAPS!!

Just listened to this audio blog interview with NCM and it was great. Took me a few sessions as it's long but worth a listen.
    Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride Gut and Psychology Syndrome 04/02 by Starlene Stewart | Blog Talk Radio

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2008
    summer street

Thanks for the updates meow! I really love hearing your story

1234 ...